Faceless might have a problem with this news.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Faceless might have a problem with this news. Reply with quote

Cheap drink offers could be axed

Mr MacAskill wants to target "irresponsible" drink offers
Restrictions to end heavily-discounted offers for cheap alcohol are being considered in Scotland.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill has said he is looking at ways of encouraging responsible sales and targeting binge drinking problems.

The move could include measures to stop buy-one-get-one-free deals in supermarkets and off licences.

Mr MacAskill said buying alcohol was now seen as no different than buying "soap powder and bananas".

He told The Herald newspaper: "There's something perverse in Scotland that a bottle of cider can cost less than a bottle of water.

"Of course we all like a bargain, but it shows we have come to think of alcohol as no different from bananas or soap powder. That cannot be right."

We are happy to discuss any ideas but we think the solution that Mr MacAskill suggests is the wrong one
Gordon MacRae
Scottish Grocers' Federation

The secretary criticised one of his local supermarkets for selling 60 bottles or cans of beer for £20 under a buy two get one free offer - with beer working out at just 43p a pint.

Gordon MacRae from the Scottish Grocers' Federation said the Scottish Executive should impose a proof-of-age scheme rather than criticise shopkeepers.

He said he believed the biggest problem was retailers selling alcohol at a loss as a way of luring customers into the store.

Mr MacRae said: "We are happy to discuss any ideas but we think the solution that Mr MacAskill suggests is the wrong one.

"We should actually be focusing on the low cost selling of alcohol by supermarkets.

"What we would like to see is transparency whereby supermarkets would have to publish the cost at which they buy alcohol. That would flush out the low cost selling practice."

Mr MacRae said there was "no evidence" that in-store promotions increased alcohol consumption, adding: "People don't tend to drink it any more quickly than they would have done anyway."

I'll send you over a lager parcel if you need it Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish people in 'they drink too much alcohol shocker!"? You can buy ecstasy for a quid a go too - but that doesn't mean people are taking any more than they did a few years ago.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that cider cost less than water??? I may have to give up the 365 sunshine and move!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 2l bottle of cider is about 1.50, and a 1.5l bottle of water is about a quid. Thing is though, hardly anyone buys bottled water here - the tap water's usually so pure that it's not far off mineral water. I'm sure if more people bought it the price would be lower...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how "alcoholic" is the cider there? Can't say we really sell it here at all. Never had it myself.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cider can be very strong in the UK, not sure of the percentage but much stronger than beer
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I probably wouldn't like it then, but you never know. Thanks for the info.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5% is the average - but there are a lot of 'white' ciders, which is the cause for this guy to be up in arms. It's about 8.4% and the same price. It's like rocket-fuel.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
5% is the average - but there are a lot of 'white' ciders, which is the cause for this guy to be up in arms. It's about 8.4% and the same price. It's like rocket-fuel.

8.4%---- you're not kidding about being "Rocket fuel"! I'll bet the fumes from the open bottle would be enough to knock some people over Smile
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cider, especially pear cider. I like it on it's own and I like the drinks you can make with it. I almost always have at least a bottle or two in the fridge.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... something slightly off topic ... hubby and I had a discussion the other day about Cash in the Attic's "Scotsman" host who is kinda "poofie" ... I said he could just be really tidy and fashionable and European ... My hubby claimed he must be homosexual because only gay Scotsmen go to London ... Opinion?
popinjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should rich people be allowed to get pissed but us peasants aren't? I hate how the ruling class think the solution to society's ills is to make sure the working class can't afford anything fun.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
My hubby claimed he must be homosexual because only gay Scotsmen go to London ... Opinion?

My opinion is that your hubby should go to london and say that out loud in any pub in the Kilburn/Camden area. I think he'll have his answer fairly soon after regaining consciousness.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popinjay wrote:
Why should rich people be allowed to get pissed but us peasants aren't? I hate how the ruling class think the solution to society's ills is to make sure the working class can't afford anything fun.

Well how can those ruling-class scum make more profits if the workers are drunk? Simple logic!
Bat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
... My hubby claimed he must be homosexual because only gay Scotsmen go to London ... Opinion?

I really hope your husband was trying to be funny........if not he's a prat (and that's putting it nicely)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: