george galloway dot com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popinjay

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: george galloway dot com Reply with quote

Anyone else noticed that the official site is an absolute mess? It's about two hundred pages long. It's getting like that clusterbombesque Respect supporters blog.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: george galloway dot com Reply with quote

Popinjay wrote:
Anyone else noticed that the official site is an absolute mess? It's about two hundred pages long.

Which articles do you think aren't relevant ?

Popinjay wrote:
It's getting like that clusterbombesque Respect supporters blog.

You mean this site ?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's about relevance but about overload. When you read a newspaper there are breaks in the layout which structure things and allow the mind to relax and flow...

But personally I've not been that enamoured of having so many news stories on it as I think a personal homepage should be more personal. Was there a mention of Galloway's new baby? There might have been, but it's stories of personal interest like that which I'm sure many visitors would be more interested in.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't really mentioned this, because I didn't want to come across as someone who is just out to attack Mandy (I had a fairly vicious rant at her a month or so ago) but since Popinjay has brought it up...

Yea, I think Mandy's vision for gg.com is absolutely over the top. It's basically an extended advertisement for her own site, from which every single article is linked. If you doubt this, just scroll down the mammoth index page (if you can even get to the bottom without developing carpal tunnel syndrome) and see how many times you can count the sentence "from SpideredNews.com".

It has absolutely no personal feel to it at all, it's an over-saturated barrage of information.

Having said that, one has to assume that if George didn't like it that way, he would have asked her to change it. So maybe that's what he wants as a homepage.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for someone not wanting to attack you did a pretty good job of it!

Mandy, I suggest you have separate sections, one for general news that might interest people and one (the main page) for Galloway-specific stuff. I'm pretty certain that would get more visitors in the long run...
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
for someone not wanting to attack you did a pretty good job of it!

Haha, yea. Kinda like "I'm not racist, but..."
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one mentioned
http://www.myspace.com/georgegalloway

and

http://respectcoalition.org

i.e. lots of sites !!
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
No one mentioned

and

i.e. lots of sites !!

Why would they have? This is a thread about georgegalloway.com
luke

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do the galloway site and spidered news mandy?!

the galloway site has lots of interesting storys, but like others have said they just need to be laid out a bit better - maybe on the front page have news items relating directly to george and respect, it would give the site a more personal feel, then have maybe at the bottom say the latest ten headlines which you can click on to view the full details - a separate world news page or something would be good, with a new button on the side for it, keep things nicely in there sections. i think it would also be better to not have the page massively long, say ten news items per page or something, then forward / back links through the world news pages. maybe separate the news items into categories, so you could check all the news storys related to latin america, or the israel/palestine conflict, iraq, uk etc - then people can track down easier what it is there looking for, or just go through page by page.

maybe the same for spirednews as well, it is a kinda information overload - there interesting, buts its almost to much, you don't know where to go - and if you was on a slower connection ( not everyone in the world has broadband and i'm sure georges site gets visitors from all over ) those pages would take for ever to load

and just one little thing, when you use the media lens articles, you should really give credit to media lens as well as sayings its on spirednews, i'm sure they'd be chuffed, plus also i think you've missed part of the last alert wink
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another thing! What's this "from SpideredNews.com" business, when every single article from SpideredNews is its self from somewhere else??! Unless you write every article yourself, Mandy.
luke

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
That's another thing! What's this "from SpideredNews.com" business, when every single article from SpideredNews is its self from somewhere else??! Unless you write every article yourself, Mandy.

what would you be like if you was on the attack?! Laughing wink

* mental note - don't annoy kate, unless she deserves it nyer Laughing *
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:

just one little thing, when you use the media lens articles, you should really give credit to media lens

It is credited .. right under the title, and before the date, e.g. "MEDIALENS - Fri, 25 May 2007"

p.s. SpideredNews is multi-layered (i.e. categorised), and you can even create your own custom summary news page.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Mandy wrote:
No one mentioned

and

i.e. lots of sites !!

Why would they have? This is a thread about georgegalloway.com

Because you can't take one site in isolation .. indeed, MySpace is the more usual place for personal blog like entries for George.
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I didn't know Mandy ran the site. My only problem with it is that it's absolutely massive. That Respect Supporters blog and the official site crashes my browser everytime I open it. Just have a few stories, news or personal. About five is right, I think. How many are on there now? A hundred? More? That's a sure fire way to implode a computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: