Oz bar bans heteros
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Oz bar bans heteros Reply with quote

Australian pub bars heterosexuals

A gay pub in the city of Melbourne has won the right to ban heterosexuals - the first time such legislation has been passed in Australia. The Victorian state civil and administrative tribunal ruled the Peel Hotel could ban patrons based on their sexual orientation. The pub's management said the move would stop groups of heterosexual men and women abusing gay people. Civil liberties groups have supported the decision.

The tribunal's president said groups of straight women found homosexual men entertaining but that such attention was dehumanising, the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney says. Managers complained raucous hen nights and stag parties created a poisonous atmosphere for its gay clientele, our correspondent says. "If I can limit the number of heterosexuals entering the Peel, then that helps me keep the safe balance," the hotel's manager, Tom McFeely, told Australian radio, according to the Reuters news agency. He said while Melbourne had 2,000 venues catering for heterosexuals, his was the only bar aimed exclusively at gay men.

Civil liberties groups said homosexuals should be allowed to relax in places without fear of bullying or intimidation. Australia's equal opportunity laws prevent discrimination based on race, religion or sexuality.

-----------------

Why did they need to go for a new law to sort this rather than just have doormen who let the 'right' people in? When I used to work in clubs there was a regular gay night which I would stop certain people going into as it was clear they'd freak out. Of course, I'd let some in though - one time this wee guy came to me complaining 'it's like an episode of Jerry Springer in there!'... he left without a refund.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fair enough. There is a "gay" bar in Oldenburg. A couple of gay friends don't go there because they feel uncomfortable.

I can understand the hen night brigade too, gay bars are often the only places they can go to without feeling threatened, or at least being left alone. They shouldn't take the piss though.

I can hear the homophobes already ...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hen night groups being threatened? I've never seen a more scary group on a night-out!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn about is fair play, I guess. The idea of the bouncer is a good one, but I guess they wanted something more formal.

Having been part of hen night brigades (they call them bachlorette parties here), I know that they are something to be feared!
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I am totally against this. Infact it pisses me off! You can't ban an entire group of people based on their sexuality, whether they're gay or straight.

How are they going to know if someone is gay, anyway, to either let them in or turn them away? It's ridiculous.

If the place had a reputation for homophobes hurling abuse then they should have spent their money on better and more security, and started barring the individuals and parties who were being abusive.

I'm bisexual, so what are they going to do? Cut me in half before I can enter?
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
I'm bisexual, so what are they going to do? Cut me in half before I can enter?

Don't give them ideas ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this one, Kate. No law should discriminate based on sexual orientation, whichever way it cuts.

It seems to me that bars already have a way of dealing with problem customers -- bounce them and, if necessary, ban them. So why is this any different?
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else getting a niggling doubt that this is all PR spin to generate publicity ?

After all, the pub managers have the discretion to ask anyone they want to leave.

Note that if a pub has a "reputation" for being targeted at a certain clientele, it tends to be self-reinforcing .. it doesn't need it to be a "legal" issue.
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its discrimination, if i had a club and banned gay people there'd be uproar, i don't see why it should be different the other way around

why do we need to keep separating ourselves more and more anyway, it plays right it to the elites plan of dividing and atomising society
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. And it's especially stupid since bars are private property, which means that they already have the legal right to not allow people in, or to throw people out, at their own discretion for any or even no reason if they want, so I don't get why they had to get a legal document.

I'm wondering if a guy could just turn up and they'd be like "Hang on a second, cobba, are you queer?" ... "Er, yea, by crikey" ... "OK, have a good evening, mate" Confused:
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not there is a specific law, if an establishment wants to keep out a certain type of person, they will, legally or not. If they had a bar that advertised anyone more than 5lbs overweight is not allowed in, I would stay clear. I don't go where I am not wanted. Is it cruel? Yes. Is it unfair? Yes. Discrimination? Yes..But does it happen everywhere because that is how humans are wired? Yes. It is unfortunate but true. Just my 2 cents...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm totally against it. I'm with all that Kate said. It's just plain stupid, unfair and discrimination.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the bouncers at the door of nightclubs picking the "pretty people" to let in ...
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Reminds me of the bouncers at the door of nightclubs picking the "pretty people" to let in ...

Yep, that is what I thought of too, Mandy. There is always going to be discrimination of some sort, sadly...
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think theres a lot of difference though between having different door policys at individual venues depending on the night and making actual laws
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: