It would have been John Wayne's 100th birthday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: It would have been John Wayne's 100th birthday Reply with quote

While listening to the Galloway radio show last night someone phoned in to say that it would have been John Wayne's 100th birthday if he'd still been alive. I was always a fan of his as a kid (as long as it was in cowboy movies) but I was surprised to hear another texter on tonight's show commenting that he had been a draft-dodger in WWII and that his politics were about as right-wing as anyone. As Galloway pointed out though - unless those politics are reflected in his artistic work then it shouldn't affect your opinion of that work, and I'm 100% behind that idea.

I was trying to think of a current star that comes close to his presence in those westerns, but no one springs to mind.
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree with you and galloway, someones political views or whatever doesn't have anything to do with whether you enjoy a persons films, music or art etc

i never really liked him or cowboy films though really, my dad was into native american indian stuff, totem poles, wigwams, bows and arrows, stuff made out of beads etc Laughing so i was always on the indians side Smile this has reminded of some bead belt i had ... i must have looked super fly with that and my rupert the bear trousers when i was a kid Laughing
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you draw the line, though? If Blair picked up the guitar again and made a truly great single, would you still buy it (assuming that it really was that good)?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a few artists who are on the opposite end of me politically, but I enjoy their music. Same with some actors, for instance Johnny Depp. Of course I wish that they wouldn't use their fame from their art to push their political views, but I still like their art. I do know a few people that once they find out their political views, they stop watching/listening to them. I guess it's up to the individual if they choose to do so. I only liked John Wayne in The Quiet Man. I didn't really like cowboy movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my line is drawn if I deem the person dangerous. If Blair or Clinton made singles that truly rocked and I liked them, I would buy them, I dont' consider them dangerous, in or out of office. But if someone has IRA or Nazi ties or is an incarcerated serial killer, I think no matter how good the art, I wouldn't be able to be part of funding that.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
But if someone has IRA or Nazi ties or is an incarcerated serial killer, I think no matter how good the art, I wouldn't be able to be part of funding that.

This idea came up in the radio show - regarding Wagner's music in particular. It was considered to be brilliant by Hitler and used to emphasise his master-race plans... but does that mean it's not still great music? Ride of The Valkyries is pretty much untouchable for effect.
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Where do you draw the line, though? If Blair picked up the guitar again and made a truly great single, would you still buy it (assuming that it really was that good)?

interesting point, and no i wouldn't - cos i wouldn't like to give him a penny, but its not really a fair comparison - as far as i'm aware john wayne never started an illegal war of aggression, lowed social mobility or moved more and more power and wealth into fewer and fewer hands wink

say blair played a part in some great film, he's a brilliant actor, would you go check it? if the film wasn't related in any way to his politics?

i don't know if i would or not ... Confused probably not, but i really can't stand him

but take john malkovich, hes a pro war nut, but i like his films
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re Blair comparison, John Wayne is Dead .. and no benefit goes to his estate from liking what he did on screen.

I think time is also a "healer" .. though I hope Blair's memory is never white-washed in a 100 years (i.e. he should be demonised like Adolf Hitler was)
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm..... The only John Wayne movie I can stomach is the Quiet Man ... other than that I can't see past the asshole he was ... so he never served in the military when other Hollywood stars were joining to serve his country ... who wouldn't go for a deferrment ... I may have been able to "get over it" if it wasn't for the Hollywood anti-communist black listing he was involved in. ... oh gawd don't get me started on THAT!
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry .. it is still a sour wound for many ...
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think individual politics does influence my opinion. I think it should. I think everyone should have something they believe in strongly enough to have an opinion.

It's the same as boycotting something ...I won't order Dominoes pizza because they were owned by Wayne Huzinga who owned the Florida Panthers. He was instrumental in OUR area NOT getting baseball and hockey when it should have. I won't rent or buy movies from Blockbuster for the same reason. I avoid buying form companies that use animal testing ... it's the same. These are PERSONAL DECISIONS on my part. I don't expect them to be adopted by the government on my say so.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pilgrim, all I know is that I never liked N-e of his films. He was also hated horses.
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
But if someone has IRA or Nazi ties or is an incarcerated serial killer, I think no matter how good the art, I wouldn't be able to be part of funding that.

This idea came up in the radio show - regarding Wagner's music in particular. It was considered to be brilliant by Hitler and used to emphasise his master-race plans... but does that mean it's not still great music? Ride of The Valkyries is pretty much untouchable for effect.

Wagner wasn't a Nazi and Hitler didn't write the music. They were not contemporaries. If the KKK latched on to a Lennon/McCartney song I would still like the Beatles and hate the KKK. If Paul McCartney wrote a song for the KKK I would not buy it.

John Wayne made movies in conjunction with people who thought as he did. He chose scripts that went along with his agenda and worked with studios and directors, producers etc who "supported" his opinions. That was his right and it is my right to not like them because of it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I don't know enough about his history, but I don't think that those daft Westerns had any political impact on me, which is the point of separation. I also like Charlton Heston in most of his movies, that doesn't mean I'd let him in my house.

To be honest though, the thought of Wayne being involved in the McCarthy witch-hunts makes my skin crawl... you're ruining my childhood! haha
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Ok, well I don't know enough about his history, but I don't think that those daft Westerns had any political impact on me, which is the point of separation. I also like Charlton Heston in most of his movies, that doesn't mean I'd let him in my house.

To be honest though, the thought of Wayne being involved in the McCarthy witch-hunts makes my skin crawl... you're ruining my childhood! haha

i think they did, those films helped rewrite history in a lot of people minds, of the massacre of the indigenous people, its like propaganda - cowboy good guy, indian bad ...

you bring up some interesting points marcella thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: