Never Mind The Bollocks! Its been 30 years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Never Mind The Bollocks! Its been 30 years Reply with quote

The 30th year anniversary of the controversial Sex Pistols classic God Save the Queen is being remembered this weekend. It sparked drama on its release in 1977 when it coincided with Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee.

With lyrics like "God Save the Queen, the fascist regime", the song was considered to be an attack on the Queen and the monarchy.

The BBC banned the track, but it still entered the charts at number two.

It's been thought the song was deliberately held off the top of the charts - even though it outsold every other single on its release.

It features on the album Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

Now I feel old !!!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back then I remember my dad saying "you should stay away from those punk types!" - years later some of my best friends were punks... and he was right - I should have stayed away! haha, just kidding
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that album! When I started playing guitar I learned most of the Sex Pistols stuff because they're really simple songs to play but really fun Smile

I'll have to dig the CD out now!
Bat

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Way back then I remember my dad saying "you should stay away from those punk types!" - years later some of my best friends were punks... and he was right - I should have stayed away! haha, just kidding

Sorry a bit off topic but - I remember dad saying at about the same time to me "SUPPORT CELTIC". It took me about one day at school to realise that was probably the wisest thing he said to me (when I was 11). thumbs

Funny thing too, I just put that whole CD onto my computer yesterday. I knew there was a reason for it!!!!! 30 years eh? Where has the time gone?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have access to VH1 - Classic (now that makes me feel old - not only am I watching VH1, but Classic no less!!), has a series on the making of classic albums. The surviving band members come back and sit in a studio and tear apart the songs to show you how they were put together and share stories from the recording sessions (made up I am sure since no self respecting rock star would actually remember). Never Mind the Bollocks was on the other day and I found it interesting. Johnny Rotten really is a miserable git, but I guess that is what has given him his place in history.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just listening to this last night!
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the sex pistols were a great group punk rock is still alive today with bands like the gossip
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I read that the NME's up and coming band of the year 1975 was the new seekers and a year later it was the sex pistols. That is wrong, but the general sentiment is right.

I didn't like 'em much to start with, but after seeing the great rock and roll swindle I wanted to have green hair too.

never did though.

Anyone remember "The Bescott Sidings"? GingerTruck?? A "ledgendary" black country band of that era ... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: