Happy 'Witches' Day & Independance day BAT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Happy 'Witches' Day & Independance day BAT. Reply with quote

Yup..

In Prague over the next few days there are two days of interest...

Witches day & Independance day.

Hope Bat enojoys...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know this as the wife & mother-in-law are in Prauge this week & BAT was picking them up at the airport...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
I only know this as the wife & mother-in-law are in Prauge this week & BAT was picking them up at the airport...

How wonderful!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can ask her what Witches Day is all about. That sounds rather intriguing.

Cool Bat was able to pick your wife and mother in-law up Smile Hopefully they'll come home with some pics of the trip and you can post them up.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife traveled light & only has her media player (30 gigs of music & movies... ohh & 3 series of QI)

Mother in law has a camera but she's a naff when it comes to shots Sad
Maybe I can edit her fingers out the pics... Smile

A quick google of witches day prague will tell you all about the celebrations...

I had asked BAT months ago if his 'taxi service' was available... hope all was smooth, have yet to hear from anybody in Prague yet.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he'll probably be taking them on a special tour of all the Guinness shops...

It's a great city and probably one of the safest I've ever been in. I'm not surprised about the Witches Day as they have a strong tradition of the gnomes and fairies etc.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a hell of a time trying to reach the hotel room...
or get past the front desk for that matter.

Earlier when I called the front desk I was able to get the room, however they were not there...
Now, for the past 30 min.s I call & am constantly being 'hung up on' by a guy on the front desk....

It's getting a bit frustrating... emailing the said hotel just gets bounced back...

I ended up sending an email to their sister hotel in Prague & one to their flagship & CEO in London with a letter of disgust & complaint.
(great thing google search, find all sorts of peoples wmail addresses & numbers when you know how) Smile

Quote:
Guinness shops

LOL

They have had a hell of a flight schedule, left DC yesterday around 1PM... stuck in Germany for 5 hours & onto Prague, that & my wife's hate of flying (gods help whoever sat next to her as I still have scars on my hand from a few years ago) & I think guiness is the last thing on their minds lol.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard of witches day...... I'll have to google that as you suggested and check it out. We've not got anything like that here. Hallowe'en is a close as it gets, I think.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Sea Witch festival here at the beach... but it's a tad dif' to the thing in prague.
Bat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck sake, I missed this post completely until today.

"Independence Day"?. No, if you are referring to May the 8th. It is the day the 2nd world war finished in Czechoslovakia (as it was then). Independence from the Germans and straight into Communism.....hmmmmmmm. Anyway.....

Witches day is the 30th of April. I don't know much about it but here's a wee history of it................Burning of the witches

It is connected to St. Philip and Jacobīs Day and also Valpruzaīs Night from the 30th of April to the 1st of May, which is supposedly one of the magical nights when evil forces have greater power that at other times. At midnight before St. Phillip and Jacobīs Day, when evil spirits had the power to harm people, abundant treasures could be found. In order to protect themselves from the spirits, the searchers had to have on them a flower from a fern, a blessed chalk, a wafer and other objects. People believed that masses of witches were flying in the air, and came swooping down on the Sabbath. This is where the name burning of the witches comes from. Before this Sabbath the witches coated themselves in magic creams, which enabled them to fly. Fires were lit on high ground as protection against the witches. These fires have an ancient origin in some places. As time went by these fires turned into the burning of the witches, when young people set fire to brooms and through them into the air, supposedly so that the witches flying on their broomsticks up above would see them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: