Briton suspect in Madeleine hunt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Briton suspect in Madeleine hunt Reply with quote

If it does turn out to be a "international child abduction" gang, I hope they police crack it all the way to the "end buyers". Hopefully if it is an international abduction gang, Madeleine is more likely to be still alive, though in what state is another issue.

I wonder if these abductions are for people who want to have children but can't {if so, Madeleine seems much older than a baby}, else ............. {either way, the abductors & the end buyers should be xxxxxxxxxxxxxx}
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way this has worked out sounds very much like the Soham murders where the guy hung around the media and police offering to help...I just hope it doesn't have the same outcome
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall in the Soham murders if the murders' "over-interest" in the case tipped off the police.

The BBC report above mentions a reporter tipped the police in the Madeleine case.

p.s. "His mother says that on the night the kid disappeared they were both in the house together all night," he said."

BOTH GUILTY ...
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts…

Firstly, at what point do the exhorbitant 'rewards' put forward by celebrities stop being for the childs good and start being for the personal publicity of the person making the offer. For example, why does Wayne Rooney think he will make a difference?

Second, someone close to the person(s) who abducted Madeleine might be influenced by the opportunity to 'cash in', on this reward, but how do they do that without implicating themselves in some way as being (at minimum) an accessory to the crime, and what sort of person not connected with the crime would withold evidence?

It's a bit like the old joke about Crimewatch and programs like it….."oh yes I saw the man brutally stabbing the victim but I thought I'd wait until that nice Nick Ross brought it up on the BBC before coming forward"

My point is that rewards like this are largely for show and I suspect rarely result in a tangibly different result to the inquiry. Ultimately though, the break will come by someone noticing something small that will lead to a result.

Regarding the incident itself, this is every parents worst nightmare, especially as they are likely thinking about what might have been had they just hired a babysitter. It should serve as a wake up call for any parent thinking about leaving their kids alone for any reason, there are just some plain nasty, perverted, sick people out there.

The first reaction of my missus, who worked in the news for many years, was to say that one of the parents were somehow connected. I wonder who was the last person to go back discover her as missing. Who's to say that version of events is correct? The first reports we saw were that the local police did not take the incident very seriously at first. Did that imply there may have been a lack of evidence for a break-in? As soon as the media descended things changed pretty quickly though.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out and why the police are searching the locations they are now, and whether this guys alibi…."I was with my mum all night" stands up.

Sadly, these things rarely end happily, though I pray it does.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rewards are great to both raise publicity .. and to SCARE the culprits .. and hopefully make others think twice : Don't do the crime unless you expect a big reward to be put on your head -- and someone will likely report you for the money.

Indeed, it would make the culprits fear the longer the hunt goes on, the bigger the reward, i.e. better to release Madeleine quickly
since the situation is getting hotter to "handle".
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it pretty sad that so much money can suddenly be found in an attempt to save the life of one child when that amount could actually save the lives of tens of thousands.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I find it pretty sad that so much money can suddenly be found in an attempt to save the life of one child when that amount could actually save the lives of tens of thousands.

Completely agree...and it'll be interesting to see what level of charitable donations are recorded against the names of the same people who put up this money.

Meanwhile the US can't pursuade anyone to take $25 Mil to rat on Osama Bin Laden. Another example of rewards being little incentive.

If anything, it's the publicity that will bring this to a conclusion, not the money. I don't think anyone considers reward money when commiting a crime.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about that's sad that same money can't be found for other causes.

Think how much that money would help the starved Palestinians.

Osama is dead .. so no amount of money will help.

A reward is more likely to work than back-fire (like when Jamie Oliver put up a reward to catch the gang which raided his parent's pub). It is the money which raises the publicity .. so to say the publicity works, but not the money, is to confuse the connection.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
A reward is more likely to work than back-fire (like when Jamie Oliver put up a reward to catch the gang which raided his parent's pub). It is the money which raises the publicity .. so to say the publicity works, but not the money, is to confuse the connection.

Agreed
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

i was reading an interesting article recently regarding this kinda thing

its interesting the way the media regards certain lives more important than others, i mean at this time you got this going on;

i don't see our media or beckham or rooney raising money for iraqi or afghan children

how many decades have palestinan children been suffering? you wouldn't really know from our media

you got 20,000 children dying everyday in poor countries http://www.avaaz.org/en/g8_poverty_letter/?cl=9072695

i bet you'll start hearing lots more about the children in darfor ( because of resources in the country we need to secure ), maybe even more about the children in zimbadwe ( mugabes big diamond find ) - but you could have the same or worse level of suffering in the country next door, and if the country didn't have any worthwhile resources it would hardly get any coverage

i often wonder if this would happen if we were all the same colour ... i mean if they were saying 20,000 white kids are dying everyday from preventable diseases, do you think we'd be we're we are now? maybe it would be the same ...

it would be interesting if you could do a few news items covering real storys like kids working in mines in congo, child slaves working on cocoa plantations, school children getting searched by armed guards and queuing at checkpoints, kids walking past dead bodies on the way to school in iraq - but all filmed with western looking white kids ...

edit sorry that went i bit of topic

i really hope they find the little girl. i can't believe her parents were stupid enough to leave here while they went off - i bet she woke up, wondered where they were, walked of to look for them and was grabbed Sad
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to above thread, note

Since when has the UN got involved for a single journalist ?

Of-course when it fits into a global political play.

Back to thread, I agree with luke who wrote "i bet she woke up, wondered where they were, walked of to look for them and was grabbed". I was wondering the same, especially since some parents leave their kids unattended without telling them {so they fall asleep without worrying}. If I was a kid & woke up alone in a room, I could (and probably would have) wondered out to look for my parents.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just been a 20 odd minute press-conference on News 24 where the girl's aunt met with all sorts of government ministers and other mps. There's not one thing that all these people can do to affect the outcome of the case and these people have taken decisions that actually cost the lives of thousands of children - the hypocrisy reeks.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
There's just been a 20 odd minute press-conference on News 24 where the girl's aunt met with all sorts of government ministers and other mps. There's not one thing that all these people can do to affect the outcome of the case and these people have taken decisions that actually cost the lives of thousands of children - the hypocrisy reeks.
Funny you mentioning that! I was thinking the same thing when I read that the parents of that girl are going to address the House of Commons. What exactly are the parents going to say - go out and find our daughter? It seems as if they are being kept busy so that the hurt of losing their child doesn't take over their lives yet.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostinthestates wrote:
It seems as if they are being kept busy so that the hurt of losing their child doesn't take over their lives yet.

Actually, it is stated on the BBC the reason was to keep up publicity
"The family's push to keep the search in the public eye"

Glad to see Gordon had time for this.

Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Lostinthestates wrote:
It seems as if they are being kept busy so that the hurt of losing their child doesn't take over their lives yet.

Actually, it is stated on the BBC the reason was to keep up publicity
"The family's push to keep the search in the public eye"

Glad to see Gordon had time for this.

I thought it being plastered all over the internet and I assume the tabloids would have done that job quite nicely - perhaps it isn't quite public eye enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: