YouTube "Not so cool facts about Israel"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point of constructive criticism: sarcasm in a political video is all well and good, but it needs to be more obvious. When I first watched the video it came across as deadly serious, which is why my eyebrow kept raising when I read things like the Guinness Book of Records thing, and the "eye specific bullets" and "abortion specific gas" thing. It's not obvious at all that these are meant sarcastically, because the over-riding tone of the video is extremely, gravely serious, and because of that, the parts that are meant to be sarcastic just seem out of place and only serve to make the viewer go "hmmm, something's not right here". I'd imagine that's one of the main reasons some have been slinging the term "propaganda" and "agenda" around.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said that when I said the video seemed exaggerated that was before I knew it was a parody of this other one. Knowing that changes my opinion entirely.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I should have said that when I said the video seemed exaggerated that was before I knew it was a parody of this other one. Knowing that changes my opinion entirely.

That's exactly my point. Most people who see the video are going to simply take it at face value. You can't complain that people have misunderstood your work if you don't give them the means by which to understand it.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for the next version of the video (though I do realise it is not quick or easy to do). You can use this forum to list against each slide any background material references you found interesting .. or indeed, a reference to the slide in the "cool video" you are parodying.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt "maycm" will contribute any references on the matters you raised in the "Not Cool" video [i.e. what "facts" he would be happy with] .. though this won't stop him criticising the next video as biased, since I feel his over-riding concern isn't "facts" and "justice", but to propagate the pro-Israeli and pro-Zionist propaganda, and to stiffle (and scare off) examination of what the Israel Government is really doing.
Benquasha

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kate, valid points, will be taken into account in the next version. Do you work in media or some related thing? cuz ur analysis is kinda professional.

so what I have in my list:

1. Do the sarcastic items in a way that shows them as such, like adding a "trivia" section.

2. Explain at the begining that this video is parody of another one.

3. I think I should also explain that , though this presentation is focused on the ugly side of occupation, it comes in a wider context of a conflict.

4. to put a slide about the ugliness of settlements. (and yes Mandy, maycm is useful as he reminded me of this).

plz more feed back

Thabks
Benquasha

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mandy, thanks for this valid point. may use this forum or other internet arena to publish a text of the facts and the references to it. Hopefully an arena that is dynamic and allowed constructive feed back.
oddshoes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i might share these videos with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mhW6feiGQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mhW6feiGQ

This is what is being done in our name
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry oddshoes, both URLs are the same
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidGig wrote:
Maycm, MEMRI is an interesting organization:

SELECTIVE MEMRI
Brian Whitaker, August 12, 2002
http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,773258,00.html

BIN LADEN'S AUDIO: THREAT TO STATES?
Juan Cole, November 02, 2004
http://www.juancole.com/2004/11/bin-ladens-audio-threat-to-states.html

Quote:
MEMRI is funded to the tune of $60 million a year by someone, and is a sophisticated anti-Arab propaganda machine. The organization cleverly cherry-picks the vast Arabic press, which serves 300 million people, for the most extreme and objectionable articles and editorials. It carefully does not translate the moderate articles. I have looked at newspapers that ran both tolerant and extremist opinion pieces on the same day, and checked MEMRI, to find that only the extremist one showed up. It would sort of be as though al-Jazeera published translations of Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Jerry Falwell on Islam and the Middle East, but never published opinion piences on the subject by William Beeman or Dick Bulliet.

MEMRI is enormously popular with strong Jewish nationalists in the United States, who often subscribe to it by email, and are being given an unbalanced view of the region as a result. In some instances the translations are not very good, but the main objection is the selectiveness of the material. MEMRI is one of a number of public relations campaigns essentially on behalf of the far rightwing Likud Party in Israel that tries to shape American perceptions of Muslims and the Middle East in a negative direction.

If you're interested in understanding what is going on in Palestine, it's probably not a good place to begin, particularly if you're sensitive to "propaganda."

Whilst being cautious of the source, the following article is interesting :

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m32878&hd=&size=1&l=e

luke

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one mandy, i've found uruknet.info to be a great source in the past
luke

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more on memri from http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/brian_whitaker/2007/05/arabic_under_fire.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: