"Open Bethlehem" Multimedia Information Pack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: "Open Bethlehem" Multimedia Information Pack Reply with quote

I thought the forum viewers may find this interesting :

"Open Bethlehem" Multimedia Information Pack - A collection of Photos, Video and Photos Essays / Presentations

+ Video: http://www.spiderednews.com/PalestineandIsrael.htm?vid=97708

+ Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7999679@N05/sets/72157600159336805/

+ Three Photos Essays / Presentations: http://worldpressnetwork.net/www.openbethlehem.org

Open Bethlehem (www.openbethlehem.org) is an international public relations campaign created in 2005 to address the state of emergency in Bethlehem. It aims to transcend the city's closure with a positive message asserting Bethlehem's international status as an open, multi-faith world heritage city.

This multimedia information pack contains the following:
1. Video "I am a Bethlehemite" a promotional video of Bethlehem.
See video on http://www.spiderednews.com/PalestineandIsrael.htm?vid=97708

2. You can view and download from http://worldpressnetwork.net/www.openbethlehem.org :

- Three Photos Essays / Presentations on "The State of Bethlehem Today",
"The Rachel's Tomb Case" and "The Open Bethlehem Campaign"

- A collection of high quality photos from Bethlehem free for public use.
Photos shares should be credited to Open Bethlehem.

We ask you to share this material with your family, friends and community.

Let the world know. Help us open Bethlehem.

Open Bethlehem, Manger Square, Bethlehem, Palestine.
Tel: +972 2 2777993 Fax: +972 2 274 0139
E-mail : admin@openbethlehem.org

"Open Bethlehem is a non violent attempt to save a city that belongs to many in the world. It is unconscionable that Bethlehem should be allowed to die slowly from strangulation". Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Photos Essays" (powerpoint presentations) are large, but the case of
"The Case of Rachel's Tomb.pps" shows the horrifying reality of the "wall" land grabbing Rachel's Tomb.

Why are the Christians in the west not making more of a noise ?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I'd reckon that most people wouldn't care who's in control of the area that a site like that is in as long as they can still go there if they want. I'm sure the tourist dollars wouldn't have affected this at all though...
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:

christians? west? Laughing we swapped all that for the church of consumerism and celebrity ages ago wink

Sad

75951388_54b06f4cf7.jpg
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Sadly I'd reckon that most people wouldn't care who's in control of the area that a site like that is in as long as they can still go there if they want. I'm sure the tourist dollars wouldn't have affected this at all though...

Faceless, I don't know if I am misreading your last sentence .. whether you mean tourists numbers are unaffected, or if you mean tourist dollars don't matter in this situation.

Either way, Tourists have been severely affected, and the loss of tourist dollars has severely damaged the town and its people.
Bethlehem is dying from strangulation -- very few people are going there. That is the whole point of the campaign .. indeed, they want to give Bethlehem Passports to people round the world to encourage them to visit .. but people are staying away.

Also, the place is physically being destroyed by the wall cutting through the main road and affecting buildings all over this ancient town which should be a world protected heritage site.

Note the quote from Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Quote:

"Open Bethlehem is a non violent attempt to save a city that
belongs to many in the world. It is unconscionable that
Bethlehem should be allowed to die slowly from strangulation".

Note the second paragraph in article below about "The city has seen a sharp drop in tourism, and there is a growing exodus of Christians. Bethlehem is in an economic crisis."

Indeed, part of the Israeli ethnic cleansing is to make life economically unsustainable, and very inconvenient & time wasting, for the local Arabs (including by driving away tourism).

Tourism is being driven away from "Palestinian" areas (such as Bethlehem), to "Israeli" areas. There is an economic dimension o Israeli's war on the local population.

Bethlehem is in Palestinian area (West Bank) where it, and Gaza have had an almost total destruction of tourism.

The wall isn't a "straightish" line .. it meanders in to do a physical grab of an plot .. i.e. a bird flying in a straight line in the area below would cross multiple walls.

For the Israelis to believe they can get away with treating two major world religions like this (Christianity and Islam) is arrogance on the cusp of madness. Indeed, I wonder how many Israeli (and neocon) "end-timers" don't mind hastening the end of time with their nuclear weapons. As Vanunu has said "his action in revealing Israel's nuclear secrets aimed to avert a nuclear holocaust in the region." http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/6607199.stm
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
GG_Fan wrote:

christians? west? Laughing we swapped all that for the church of consumerism and celebrity ages ago wink

Sad

Excellent cartoon Luke. Can I ask where you found it ?
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well way back when in like 97 ish

me and my daughter was on hoildaiy in cypress

i was trying to do a trip over there ....but all the bastards was on strike ...so i did a bungee instead

luke

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Excellent cartoon Luke. Can I ask where you found it ?

i'm not sure now, i saved it from somewhere, i might get them made into christmas cards this year ... sums it up well doesn't it

i remember hearing somewhere one christmas about if you tried today to do a journey described in the bible, how many israeli checkpoints you'd now have to go through, and how long it would actually take to do it, it was crazy wow

if jesus does reappear he best make extra time for the checkpoints and get himself an id card and passport before he arrives Sad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he'd probably not get through the checkpoints as they'd have him earmarked as an anti-Israeli with extremist links!

Then again, same thing would happen here too...
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
he'd probably not get through the checkpoints as they'd have him earmarked as an anti-Israeli with extremist links!

Then again, same thing would happen here too...

the sad thing is its true, they'd have in guantanamo bay or somewhere before he'd even began to comprehend what this huge concrete apartheid wall is doing in the middle of the holy land

i bet he'd be quite confused 'ok, so i came 2000 years ago, told you everything you need to know, even left you a book with all you need, live peacefully, treat everyone nice etc, and this is what you've done since i've been gone?! what happend?!' Laughing
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count himself luck if he got to Guantanamo Bay. More likely he would be "taken care of" in an "accident" or "incident" (e.g. Wako)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: