GG, Putin & Animal Cruelty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comsatangel wrote:
Well, I didn't listen to the show, and I won't listen to this particular one.

I respect your views and can understand why you wouldn't want to hear that. In case you're interested, though, the 3rd hour was about an entirely different subject (debt). I don't recall if he made any such statements during this hour, so you may well wish to give the entire episode a miss. But if you especially like some of the new guests (such as the one talking about how to claim back inflated bank charges; I don't recall his name) it might be worth a listen.

Actually, I may have my episodes mixed up. Sorry...
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comsatangel wrote:
I'm a vegan and animal rights and welfare activist. I'm not on the extreme side of things and I do nothing illegal. I also respect the fact that others have opinions which differ from my own. But I can't bear to listen to that kind of stuff.

Forgive me, but I don't understand that attitude. If you're a vegan and an animal rights activist then surely it is essential that you do listen to what he said, so you are under no misconception and no danger of misquoting him.

I am an atheist, but I made sure to read the Bible and the Torah, and research religion in general, before I committed to that decision. I eat meat, but I've viewed all the PETA and other graphic animal rights videos out there that show minks being skinned alive. I'm a huge fan of Galloway and others like him, but I still try and watch as many Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh speeches and interviews as possible.

It's very important to be familiar with what you are supposedly against, otherwise how do you know you're against it? Remember those vox-pop interviews with people in America that went along the lines of:

"What do you think of the new movie, Fahrenheit 9/11?"
"Oh, I hate it. I think it's un-American!"
"Have you seen it?"
"No, sir. I wouldn't pay money to watch that trash"
"So how do you know you hate it?"
"............. President Bush....... er....... America! .......... America is great!"
oddshoes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not in favour of cruelty to animals, but there is a lot more important issues in the world. When 30% of the worlds population go to bed hungry at night, it really is first world decadence to worry about animal rights.

It saddens me more to see Georges show being taken more mainstream, and avoiding the controversial issues.

The top story on Georges own website when the show started on saturday night, which i really hoped he might talk about was, "Thwarted Warrior: Depleted uranium and the mystery of sick and dying Gulf war vets".

Its a story i have been following since i bought Mohammed Daud Miraki book

his website

http://www.afghanistanafterdemocracy.com/index.html

when you click the "death made in the US" link and you see how your tax dollar/pound is being spent, it might put animal rights into perspective.

Sorry to diagree with the majority with my first post Embarassed
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a fair point oddshoes, but this is more a case of comments mounting up with regards to Galloway's attitude to certain issues than putting one issue ahead of another.
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and let's not forget that the first time George ever rode a horse, or even came in snorting distance of one, was like 3 weeks ago. He's no authority on them.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Who has killed more & caused more suffering round the world : Putin or Bush or Blair ?

Who is trying & succeeding in reducing the disparity between rich & poor ?

I hope our choices aren't limited to the likes of Bush, Blair and Putin. While your point that he's not been as bad as the former two, that hardly wins him any awards for person of the year.

It's true that he has recaptured major companies like GazProm, but isn't he just re-distributing them to his buddies? And his continued stance on Chechnya is one of the reasons I would've thought GG would be less enthusiastic on his leadership.

I have to hope that there are more inspiring, principled and inspired leaders out there for the future, or things will get a lot worse before they get better.
popinjay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
But there's a difference between using the animal for food and using it for sport. One keeps us alive; the other amounts to, "ooh, that's a fast boy, then."

You wouldn't starve if you didn't eat meat. You'd just eat something else. I eat meat too. I can't justify it.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popinjay wrote:
You wouldn't starve if you didn't eat meat. You'd just eat something else. I eat meat too. I can't justify it.

There is an environmental / economic case for farming to go vegetarian. It takes too much water and too much resources per KG of output for meat {though unsure if meat comes ahead if you count energy output per input resources).
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddshoes wrote:

It saddens me more to see Georges show being taken more mainstream, and avoiding the controversial issues.

me too, I think that it's inevitable if he has a daily show. I don't think though, that it's a decision to avoid issues, but one of filling space. That and this "purdah" business 'till the elections are over.

Six hours a week should be enough time, "never mind the width, feel the quality"

As for Putin, after doing a little research, I can't see anything that lets me think that he is in any way any different to Bush, except that all his genocidal war mongering, media manipulation, crooked business deals, complete disregard for any sort of democracy, is all done off of his own bat because unlike Bush, he does have active, intelligent imagination, however perverse.

http://www.lib.ru/MEMUARY/CHECHNYA/chechen_war.txt

"Putin Good - Bush Bahahahad
Putin Good - Bush Bahahahad
Putin Good - Bush Bahahahad"

yeah, sure.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no fan of Putin .. indeed, Russia & US / Britain have been colluding in all these wars, i.e. carving out the world in secret agreements (e.g. we will turn a blind eye to Chechnya, and you can do what you like elsewhere).

Indeed, sometimes I wonder if they are playing a good cop / bad cop routine.

Any "defense" of Putin might be an instinctive one that he is being attacked by Bush & Co .. so they can install their own puppet government in Russia.

Sorts of reminds me of Iraq .. however bad Saddam Hussein was, Bush's plans were far worse.
Comsatangel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Comsatangel wrote:
I'm a vegan and animal rights and welfare activist. I'm not on the extreme side of things and I do nothing illegal. I also respect the fact that others have opinions which differ from my own. But I can't bear to listen to that kind of stuff.

Forgive me, but I don't understand that attitude. If you're a vegan and an animal rights activist then surely it is essential that you do listen to what he said, so you are under no misconception and no danger of misquoting him.

I am an atheist, but I made sure to read the Bible and the Torah, and research religion in general, before I committed to that decision. I eat meat, but I've viewed all the PETA and other graphic animal rights videos out there that show minks being skinned alive. I'm a huge fan of Galloway and others like him, but I still try and watch as many Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh speeches and interviews as possible.

It's very important to be familiar with what you are supposedly against, otherwise how do you know you're against it? Remember those vox-pop interviews with people in America that went along the lines of:

"What do you think of the new movie, Fahrenheit 9/11?"
"Oh, I hate it. I think it's un-American!"
"Have you seen it?"
"No, sir. I wouldn't pay money to watch that trash"
"So how do you know you hate it?"
"............. President Bush....... er....... America! .......... America is great!"

Fair enough point. I did eventually get around to listening to that part of the show and it wasn't as bad as I expected. The comments were born out of ignorance more than anything else. Having been campaigning for almost twenty five years I become complacent and assume that I understand the motivation behind comments such as the ones made by GG. Although I will be emailing his website today, to let him know my thoughts.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding animal cruelty, george should watch this

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1282796533661048967

Quote:
EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animals shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary ever produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests. There are many worthy animal rights films available, but this one transcends the setting. EARTHLINGS cries to be seen. Highly recommended!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: