Albuquerque officer kills elderly woman with car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Albuquerque officer kills elderly woman with car Reply with quote

This was on our news station this morning. It's just terrible. Sad

The family of a 73-year-old woman hit and killed by an Albuquerque police officer as she sat in her backyard say they?re considering filing a lawsuit.

Flora Aragon was hit in the back and pinned between the officer?s cruiser and a backyard picnic table when the officer lost control of his vehicle while responding to a domestic dispute early Sunday morning.

The officer, 23-year-old Zachariah Floyd, has been placed on administrative leave while the accident is investigated.

Police say that Floyd was trying to pass another car on 53rd Street shortly after midnight Sunday morning when the car in front turned left, forcing Floyd to veer further to the left, through a cinder block wall, and into Aragon who was sitting with her family in her backyard.

?That car just came and slammed into my mom and my mom got the worst impact,? said Tonnie Sanchez, Aragon?s daughter who was sitting with her when the accident happened.

Police have determined that Floyd did not have his emergency lights or siren on at the time, but note that when responding to a domestic violence call it?s up to the officer?s discretion whether to engage those devices.

While APD spokesman John Walsh says speed does not appear to have been a factor in the crash, Tonnie Sanchez disagrees. ?This officer was negligent, he was careless, he was speeding,? she said.

The family has talked with a lawyer about the incident.
fritz

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell skylace if he went through a block wall I would think he must have been going pretty fast.But thats my opinion. Sad
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Hell skylace if he went through a block wall I would think he must have been going pretty fast.But thats my opinion. Sad

I totally agree. Even if it was cinderblock, it doesn't make sense. I am smelling cover-up. :grr:
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the family will be compensated financially, but they are definitely scrambling to make this issue low key. The guy should be fired. With officers that drive like that, I'd rather protect myself... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The family have been in contact with a lawyer already? She was killed around midnght on Saturday!

Nice priorities.
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The family have been in contact with a lawyer already? She was killed around midnght on Saturday!

Nice priorities.

That's this great country of America for you... Land of opportunity and a quick buck.

Grandson - "What about Granny's funeral ???"

Daughter - "Screw that son, we can make millions...after all, Granny would have wanted it that way..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: