'Talking' CCTV scheme expanding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: 'Talking' CCTV scheme expanding Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that this will be high on this mornings show ..

This is so sad ....
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orwell 1984 .. + 23 years

How long before monitoring is outsourced to the private sector .. and then to a low cost call center in {fill in any "low cost" country}.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are an estimated 4.2 million CCTV cameras in Britain."

strange thing is that after the second war rules were put in place here in Germany to stop this particular kind of state abuse, who would have thought ...
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a recent statistic that Britain has a huge % of global CCTV installations, i.e. the MOST cctvs per person in the world.

-----------------------
http://www.newstatesman.com/200610020022
"Watching you watching me"

We are the most spied-upon nation in the world, with some of us caught on camera hundreds of times a day. Incredibly, no one seems to mind. Brendan O'Neill investigates

Surveillance by numbers
Research by Matt Kennard

20 per cent of all the world's CCTV cameras are in the UK
300 number of times a day the average Londoner is caught on CCTV
1 UK's position in the global league table for ratio of CCTV cameras to people
12 number of people per CCTV camera in Britain
0 percentage improvement in police detection rates of violent offences with CCTV
-----------------------

British citizens have been well "conditioned" :

-----------------------
http://www.asmag.com/asm/common/article_detail.aspx?c=1&module=5&id=222

"Some 95 percent of the British people think it's more than normal and acceptable to have CCTV systems in their daily lives," said David Tanner, sales and marketing director of Baxall, one of the oldest security manufacturers of CCTV products in the United Kingdom. "They expect such systems to secure their lives and assets."
-----------------------
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long before people start flashing "piss off big brother" signs at talking CCTV cameras?
popinjay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that doesn't mind these? I think security cameras are a good idea because there are so many thugs on the street today. Now all the government has to do is free up some prison places and lock the buggers up...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the benefits of CCTV's in the street outside my house. There used to be a lot more trouble on the weekends from drunk eejits until they fitted a camera. The same camera was also able to help a guy I know when his car hit a kid who ran out in front of him as he drove. He might otherwise have been charged with careless driving.

I've no doubt that they can be used for nefarious use, but currently they don't have high enough quality to be able to use facial-recognition software effectively, so it remains a massively intensive task to be able to trace an individual's movements, therefore making it something that can only be used in high profile cases as it is so prohibitively expensive.

When you see how limited most systems are in their definition (especially at night) I reckon if you don't want to be recognised - buy a hoodie.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember panda cars? shit, I remember the copper on a bike ... intelligence gathering for the future when I was a kid. Much more humane, and a total lack of voyeurism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: