Life in Iran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Life in Iran Reply with quote

I think this video might give you another perception of life in Iran:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4679426685869498072&q=iran
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an excellent documentary, thank you. I learned quite a lot from it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that when it was on a few weeks ago and quite enjoyed it too. Seeing Iranians as normal people going about their business shouldn't really be something strange though eh?

I wonder if any American broadcaster will pick it up?
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

I think I just saw a pig fly past my window, dressed as Uncle Sam ;)
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that documentary. I do enjoy documentaries. I liked this one, and though I did get to see a side of Iran that one doesn't really get to see often, I still see that women are still 3rd rate citizens there. He spoke to 3 prominent women. He didn't speak to any run of the mill of the street women. Who knows if those prominent women are allowed special treatment? They still don't have freedom of speech. So, just because we have seen some warm and nice people, doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about Iran in general. The regime in place is not a good one and I hope that things get better in Iran for every day people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, things are certainly not rosy in Iran. For instance, in a court of law, one man's testimony is worth that of two women. This is of course rather handy for clearing rapists, since unless the rape was witnessed, the woman's testimony is useless.

The documentary did show some positives though - things you never hear about in the mainstream media who seem to be geared towards painting as black a picture of the country as possible, which in turn makes it a lot easier for the average Westerner to accept it if their governments decide they want to attack it.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
faceless wrote:

I think I just saw a pig fly past my window, dressed as Uncle Sam ;)

I don't mind anyone giving opinions on anything at all, and freedom of speech is the most important thing we have in life to articulate how we truly feel.

I must admit though I find that comment hurtful. In a way it's stereotyping 'an' American as an 'America'. Don't know if you get that or not but it's similar in my book of reading 'there's a bunch of people pissed up walking past my window. Must be a bunch of paddys'.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's the way it's put that rubbed me wrongly.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Sam is the government though, not the people.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Uncle Sam is the government though, not the people.

I realise that. I don't think you understand my point.
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
I don't mind anyone giving opinions on anything at all, and freedom of speech is the most important thing we have in life to articulate how we truly feel.

I must admit though I find that comment hurtful. In a way it's stereotyping 'an' American as an 'America'. Don't know if you get that or not but it's similar in my book of reading 'there's a bunch of people pissed up walking past my window. Must be a bunch of paddys'.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's the way it's put that rubbed me wrongly.

It was meant as a wry observation on the political affiliations of a large number of the powerful North American TV networks, and absolutely not as a blanket stereotyping of the American people. Attributing unflattering characteristics to a group of people based on their country or race offends me as much as it offends you.

Faceless was pondering the likelihood of an American broadcaster (which I took to mean channel or network, rather than an individual) picking the documentary up (which I took to mean airing the documentary to the American public). I didn't think that was very likely, so I made my comment.

I'll have to be more careful in future about making myself clear, although my posting style does tend to lean in a cynical, coy, tongue-in-cheek direction so bear in mind that if I say something like that again, I might just be joking rather than insulting entire continents Razz
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could easily see HBO or MSNBC taking this up an broadcasting it. ABC, CBS and regular NBC never really air any documentaries.
As far as political affliations with our major broadcasters they're constantly accused of being far too liberal, especially by FOX (Sky). Heck, Bill O'Reily has blamed NBC as part of the "downfall" of America.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
I could easily see HBO or MSNBC taking this up an broadcasting it.

I really hope they do.

Skylace wrote:
As far as political affliations with our major broadcasters they're constantly accused of being far too liberal, especially by FOX (Sky). Heck, Bill O'Reily has blamed NBC as part of the "downfall" of America.

That's very true, but then again Right-wing pundits like Bill O'Reilly could probably even accuse Bush of being too liberal when they get ranting.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Skylace wrote:
I could easily see HBO or MSNBC taking this up an broadcasting it.

I really hope they do.

Skylace wrote:

That's very true, but then again Right-wing pundits like Bill O'Reilly could probably even accuse Bush of being too liberal when they get ranting.

That they could. But overall the main news broadcasters over here are pretty down the middle. They like to avoid trouble. We don't have very many "hard hitting" journalists. And things like documentaries just don't make it onto the major networks that often. We may have pieces or segments done but not long ones. They usually leave that to our movie cable networks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: