US fans save 'Enders from axe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: US fans save 'Enders from axe Reply with quote

American EastEnders fans toasted their success yesterday after salvaging the soap from being axed by US TV executives.

Public TV station WETA-TV in Washington DC threatened to pull the plug on the Walford-based soap due to acquisition costs, prompting Judith Hallett, a University of Maryland professor and Michael Gordon, a local lawyer, to start a campaign in a bid to save the show.

The broadcaster marked up the cost for two years' air time at $50,000 and were surprised when campaigners presented 143 cheques totalling $52,504 - just over £26,000.

Mary Stewart, WETA's vice president of external affairs, said: "It’s an amazing group who really rallied to save what they care about."

EastEnders launched in the US in 1988 and, at its peak, broadcast on more than 50 PBS-affiliated stations - a number which has now reduced to a mere nine.
______

If only something like this had happened on BBCA! Of course, if it had, I wouldn't have found the couch! agree So no complaints Very Happy
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fecking hell - 143 people would pay $50000 for Eastenders between them? I need to spread my wings a bit...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
fecking hell - 143 people would pay $50000 for Eastenders between them? I need to spread my wings a bit...

Laughing Laughing You'd be able to get more than your pint!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
faceless wrote:

Laughing Laughing You'd be able to get more than your pint!

How true! It could be quite the little enterprise for you, Face.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite proud of WETA listening to their viewers -- doesn't happen often in TV Land, does it?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't Kezza. Lord know BBCA didn't. I still remember they gave no warning really either. Just announced during the last omnibus that it was the last Sunday.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
It really doesn't Kezza. Lord know BBCA didn't. I still remember they gave no warning really either. Just announced during the last omnibus that it was the last Sunday.
I'll never forget that day either Skylace. Just like a hard blow to the soft and sensitives. No warning. Just before the big return of Dirty Den. BBCA did the dirty on us Americans and expats, that's for sure. I'm still bitter about it to this day after all these years. Bastards!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
Skylace wrote:
I'll never forget that day either Skylace. Just like a hard blow to the soft and sensitives. No warning. Just before the big return of Dirty Den. BBCA did the dirty on us Americans and expats, that's for sure. I'm still bitter about it to this day after all these years. Bastards!

Same here. It was just terrible the way they did it. Especially when they kept moving the show around to begin with and not giving it a proper time slot.

However, I am grateful in a lot of ways because I am at the couch now because of it! Very Happy
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty impressive....but anyone remember what happened to the US knock off of enders that they set in Chicago a couple years ago?
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
pirtybirdy wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Same here. It was just terrible the way they did it. Especially when they kept moving the show around to begin with and not giving it a proper time slot.

However, I am grateful in a lot of ways because I am at the couch now because of it! Very Happy

OMG, I remember "Black Saturday" as well. Right in the middle of the omnibus, there was an announcement that "this will be the last episode of EE on BBCA". I remember being so upset and angry. But as luck would have it, I turned to the Internet, and eventually found a soft place to land here on the Couch. I am so thankful to the folks in the UK (e.g. Face The Ace) who work so hard to continue to provide EE to us. kiss

I still boycott BBC America to this very day, the SWINE!!!! Mad
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was just wandering how all of you expats were able to watch Eastenders. The only Eastenders I have seen on telly here in America was on WETA but the episodes were 5 years old :-) Also I have managed to see some shows on GUBA but otherwise I am at a loss. Can anyone help me?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you've been posting for a few days you may be able to see extra sections...

I'll say no more about it here as this is public.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that :-) Will keep on posting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: