SKY Vs Virgin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: SKY Vs Virgin Reply with quote

Last night at midnight I stopped getting all the Sky channels because Sky and Virgin (who recently took over NTL's broadband service) have refused to come to a deal for the channels.

The picture below gives an example of how pathetic this argument is. It's a screenshot from my cable-box menu guide where Virgin have "funnily" changed "Sky News" to Skysnooze - how WITTY. Both companies are also putting out adverts accusing the other of "picking up their ball and going home" or some such pish. Meanwhile I'm now stuck without SKY1, which I only ever watched to see The Simpsons admittedly, but more annoyingly Sky NEWS is gone too. These corporate arseholes need to get their fingers out!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been following this story in another forum for about a month now...

It's not my personal view but Murdoch or at least his team are shrewd cookies...

My personal view...
Sky started as Sat TV, it's going back to being Sat TV...
Media is always going to be an earner, it's owners are in essence drug dealers...
Give the people what they want for a sustained time, then take it away, they crave for what they miss, give them an option to get it back but at a premium charge (by that I mean getting a sat dish etc) & they will flock to it.

This is an INTERNAL MEMO posted by an employee:
Quote:
As of the 1st of March VirginMedia will no longer be transmitting SkyOne or SkyNews

SkySports and Movies stay as these are premium channels (you pay extra)

Memo in work

Date: Thursday 22 February 2007

Sky channels update

Hi everyone,

Here is the latest update on the Sky channels situation.

Thanks to Sky, their basic channels, like Sky One and Sky News are disappearing from Virgin Media’s service soon. It looks like they’ve picked up their ball and gone home.

We’ve been involved in talks over the last few weeks to keep hold of these channels for our customers. In fact, we were willing to pay an increase in costs. But Sky’s demands have been so unrealistically high that keeping them would have meant asking our customers to pay the kind of increase that is simply unfair.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That internal memo doesn't seem that internal... Virgin are using pretty much those words in the holding channel that has replaced sky one just now.

You can see it scrolling along in this clip (not very clearly)

http://www.couchtripper.com/video/SKY-VIRGIN.wmv
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was at some point an internal memo...

Not having Virgin / NTL / Sky over here it's hard to see the scroll such as you posted (prior to your bringing it up).

As you can see, the poster of the original internal memo said in his/her post:
Quote:
Memo in work.

At least having that scroll they were letting the public become aware of internal affairs & what may or may not come of them.

All too often (maybe not in the UK) things like this happen without any warning, any news etc.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really sucks Face. Um, I hope you'll be getting a refund for anything channels that you've paid for and aren't getting...... not likely though, if they're anything like the cable companies here.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
It was at some point an internal memo...

Not having Virgin / NTL / Sky over here it's hard to see the scroll such as you posted (prior to your bringing it up).

As you can see, the poster of the original internal memo said in his/her post:
Quote:
Memo in work.

At least having that scroll they were letting the public become aware of internal affairs & what may or may not come of them.

All too often (maybe not in the UK) things like this happen without any warning, any news etc.

I'm thinking they probably just used the same words in the scroller to prevent any embarassment about the memo being released... "Oh yeah, we meant that" kind of thing.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
That really sucks Face. Um, I hope you'll be getting a refund for anything channels that you've paid for and aren't getting...... not likely though, if they're anything like the cable companies here.

apparently we're to be treated to the wonders of their on-demand service instead. Currently it's got series two of Little Britain, Nip/Tuck and a couple of other shows - "great"!!

nyer
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

apparently we're to be treated to the wonders of their on-demand service instead. Currently it's got series two of Little Britain, Nip/Tuck and a couple of other shows - "great"!!

nyer

Lovely. Sad Maybe they'll sort things out for you soon.
Griffo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad that we're on Sky at home Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: