Woman aims for record feast of world's hottest pepper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbo1960

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Woman aims for record feast of world's hottest pepper Reply with quote

A woman from India's north-east hopes to set a new record by eating a massive quantity of a pepper which is 100 times hotter than a jalapeno.

The world record was set by South African Anita Crafford, who ate eight jalapenos in a minute in 2002.

But the scorching Bhut Jolokia, or ghost chilli pepper, is about 100 times as hot as a jalapeno.

Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a 26-year-old mother, is headed from Assam to London at the invitation of the Guinness Records institution to see how many Bhut Jolokia peppers she can eat at one sitting.

Ms Tamuly, who hails from a remote village where the pepper grows, believes she will have little trouble in beating the previous record.

She says she got hooked on the peppers as a small girl when her mother smeared chilli paste on her tongue to cure an infection.

"I have already created history on Indian television by munching 60 of the chillies in two minutes -- I am more than confident of creating a record once I reach London," she said.

The pepper, brought to Guinness's attention by a horticulture professor at New Mexico State University, clocks slightly more than one million Scoville units, almost twice as hot as the previous reigning champ, the Red Savina habanero at about 580,000 units.

The Scoville scale, developed by a pharmacist in 1912, is a measure of the ratio of water required to neutralise the pungency of a chilli pepper.

An average jalapeno, used widely in salsa, measures only about 10,000 heat units.

The university announced this February that Guinness had recognised the pepper's claim to being the world's hottest and as news of the record trickled down in Assam, where the hybrid variety occurs naturally, canny vegetable sellers raised their prices.

"We never thought Bhut Jolokia was so hot until news came in that this is the world's hottest chilli," Nalini Ram Thakuria, a vegetable vendor in Assam said.

"Now we have hiked the price by 50 rupees ($US1.1 dollars) a kilogram with people buying it like hot cakes."

A kilogram of the pepper now sells for about 250 rupees.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's some going to be 100 times the strength of a jalapeno - and for the woman's mother to have spread a paste of it on her tongue as a child is mad! "Here you pet, this'll cure ya!"
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goes in must come out, and I'd not want to be near her house when she uses the toilet for the first time in fear of explosion. I can see it now....we bits of loo roll landing in the trees and her sitting on the floor with half her arse gone Shocked
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to see that womans colon!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

Oh well that landed in the bushes bout 50 feet away near the tree with the loo roll
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Oh well that landed in the bushes bout 50 feet away near the tree with the loo roll

Laughing Laughing No doubt!
janbo1960

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they play Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire a lot a her house!!!!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
that's some going to be 100 times the strength of a jalapeno - and for the woman's mother to have spread a paste of it on her tongue as a child is mad! "Here you pet, this'll cure ya!"

It's common to do this in many Asian Indian communities & also for a parent to use chilli oil on their childrens tongues from a few months old in an attempt to raise their tollerance to chilli.
(The tastebuds on a child are not fully developed until they are in their 2 - 3 years old range).

It pretty much stems from having to use spices heavily to preserve foods due to a lack of refridgeration etc... a throw back to days of nomadic peoples.

Chilli is a natural astringant & as much as it can 'burn like hell' can help heal many 'oral' problems.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think that's the thing "I learned today" - cheers
luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my stomachs paying the price now for the few jalapenos i had last night, don't think i'll be trying to ghost chilli any time soon Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
faceless wrote:

It's common to do this in many Asian Indian communities & also for a parent to use chilli oil on their childrens tongues from a few months old in an attempt to raise their tollerance to chilli.
(The tastebuds on a child are not fully developed until they are in their 2 - 3 years old range).

It pretty much stems from having to use spices heavily to preserve foods due to a lack of refridgeration etc... a throw back to days of nomadic peoples.

Chilli is a natural astringant & as much as it can 'burn like hell' can help heal many 'oral' problems.

While this is true to a certain extent .... many people have certainly built up a tolerance to hot peppers...... too much of them can erode the lining of the GI tract and cause all sorts of problems.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:
faceless wrote:

While this is true to a certain extent .... many people have certainly built up a tolerance to hot peppers...... too much of them can erode the lining of the GI tract and cause all sorts of problems.

Indeed, this is due to the acidic nature of the peppers & how it interacts with the natural acids.
Reason why people with ulcers should avoid peppers & also why 'heartburn' occurs in some people.

On the other hand, there are many pluses for the peppers (all capsicum varieties) such as noted above, the way in which it helps to preserve foodstuffs.

Other things about chillis or all kinds:
Speeds up the metabolism.
Naturaly aids the breakdown of body fats (kinda' ties in with the above point).
Release of endorphines as a natural stimulant.

The obvious great flavors...
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
faceless wrote:

Irish do the same to their children but use Guinness in an eye dropper. They want to ensure our tolerance is sorted so when in our mid teens and out drinking in graveyards and other hidden areas we can make it home
cheers1

That's a lie of course but it sure sounded good! Very Happy
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:
faceless wrote:

Irish do the same to their children but use Guinness in an eye dropper. They want to ensure our tolerance is sorted so when in our mid teens and out drinking in graveyards and other hidden areas we can make it home
cheers1

haha, well you sounded convincing Laughing
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:
faceless wrote:

cheers1

haha, well you sounded convincing Laughing

Most probably believe that anyway since we're all meant to be pisstanks. That's the stereotypical reflection of Irish. We're all 2 fisted drinkers that get pissed up and curse.

Not all are like that. I'd say out of 20 of my friends only 17 fit that description. ....another lie of course ....or is it? YOU DECIDE! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: