Honda's new "Earth" F1 car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Honda's new "Earth" F1 car Reply with quote

This is the unimaginative promotional video for the new Honda F1 car. They've decided not to sell advertising space on it, but rather to use the space to try and encourage people to be more green. Now this might be a reasonable thing to some, but to me it just stinks of corporate bollocks. Not only is the entire sport of F1 incredibly damaging (considering the global transport of how ever many planes, trucks, cars and people it takes to maintain a team) but they also make billions per year from the production of CO2 polluting cars, and they want normal people to be more aware? If they really do care so much then they could pull out of such an utter waste of resources and put the money saved into developing better alternatives, but that's just not glamourous enough to justify the global media giving them free advertising for their own brand eh?

nyer
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed corporate bollocks is correct. How many miles per gallon do these things use? None! They measure in gallons per mile if memory serves me right.

Now, if they were to run the thing on renewal energy, or perhaps ethanol then that would be a little better.

I wonder what people are going to say when one of these cars get totalled in an accident? Not the best image for the company I'm sure, what with bits of Europe, North America and the poles blowing apart in all directions.
Boab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly faceless i know where you're coming from regarding F1. I must admit though i'm a bit of a car fanatic, but i do agree that F1 is ridiculous on the points you raised.

Not exactly the answer, but are you aware of Honda's Insight "green" car. They actually lose money on this car.

I'm not naive enough to not understand that this is a marketing ploy and will help boost their image, but at least companies like Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc are trying to tackle the issue. They are providing technology, at great cost to themselves, for the future now. It can only get better as this technology advances.

Look over at America that allow big gas guzzler 4x4's that get around 10mpg (on a good day). What do they do. Nothing. These car firms have those in power in the bag. Laws should be changed so that these gas guzzlers don't have crazy oversized unnecessary engines.

What exactly is the need for silly sized engines in these 4x4's?

Lincoln Navigator 5.4l V8 - guess that doesn't need filling up often.
GMC Yukon 6.2l V8 - same as above.
Hummer - do i really need to say anything more about this tank.

Just a few of the gas guzzlers that are very popular in America and use ridiculous amounts of fuel year in year out.

This IMO is a far greater problem and even scarier is the fact no American President has looked like tackling this issue seriously. I think i read a while back that Clinton was putting something in place (nothing concrete or else he would have sorted it) to reduce emissions from 4x4's but GWB quickly sorted that out when he came into power. Guess his campaign election money had to come from someone.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admitting ignorance here, but does F1 mean "Formula One" racing? For example, the Indianapolis 500?

Don't see much of Formula One stateside, since NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing) is "king" here. And I don't watch that either, but I have a little bro and little sis who are huge fans of Dale Earnhardt, Jr., so I know a bit about it.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 = Formula One, but the indy 500 is part of a different series, "Cart" I think.

Big difference as I recall is that everyone in CART uses the same car. Not as exciting I think going round the oval circuits. Prefer F1 myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: