Radiation warning gains skull and crossbones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Radiation warning gains skull and crossbones Reply with quote

Quote:
You couldn't call it subtle. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is adding a skull and crossbones and the figure of a person running away to its warning symbol for dangerous ionising radiation.

"Too many people get injured each year when they find a large source of radiation, don't understand the symbol and take off the lead shielding," says Carolyn MacKenzie of the IAEA. In recent incidents, people have died trying to salvage cobalt sources from dumped medical equipment.

When the IAEA tested the original radiating "trefoil" symbol at an international school, it found that many children mistook the trefoil for a non-threatening propeller. So on 15 February it launched the new design, adding alarming images to the trefoil.

The IAEA tested it in 11 countries. "It means stop, run away," says MacKenzie. "Most people got the message."

"most people got the message"?! What did the others think?
I also especially liked the line about the " non-threatening propeller"
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the skull and crossbones they should have used Homer Simpson's head, and the wiggly lines coming off the propellers represent not to get your head too close or it might be lobbed off.....and if it does....everyone run or you'll get grey matter and bone fragments spashed all over you.

Not everyone shares my imagination though so
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think for the skull and crossbones they should have used Homer Simpson's head, and the wiggly lines coming off the propellers represent not to get your head too close or it might be lobbed off.....and if it does....everyone run or you'll get grey matter and bone fragments spashed all over you.

I sense some artwork coming on.....
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Quote:

agree
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Quote:

That was my first thought as well maycm. Smile Our Irish does have a vivid imagination Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: