British celebs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaintDry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: British celebs Reply with quote

GG mused last night at the lack of 'British celebrities' having a say in the anti-war movement, and how this contrasts to American celebrities who are. If they (British celebs) do not say anything now, it wil be intereating to see who does when the the tide turns. I have missed Russel Brand's words on the subject, hope he does take a turn next week.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I'd not really thought about until it was mentioned last night, but it really is noticable that so few have said anything. Still, most of them are so bland that it would probably do the process more harm than good, though with Russell Brand on side that would make a good impression as he is genuine and even while people may not like his style they can't deny his ability (somewhat similar to Galloway in that sense).
til661

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's something to do with the fact that very few 'celebrities' are politically aware in a general sense. Personally I'm inclined to agree with Gervais who said that it is cringeworthy when celebs do get involved in politics because often their opinions are incredibly uninformed. The exception is usually musicians where you can count a few relatively well informed lefties, Damon Albarn, Robert Del Naja (Massive attack), Ian Brown etc. But then again musicians have always been more politcally active than chat show hosts or reality tv contestants for obvious reasons.
Salim201

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has Russel Brand been saying on the subject?! From what I've heard he is left-wing, but ultimately doesn't seem to stand for anything concrete, having him on board would be brilliant though, I think he would gain more serious fans, he seems an informed and intelligent guy, a speech in trafalgar square with some articulate and poignant polemic, mixed with a gentle derision of our opponents and some dry humour, is something he is more than capable of! (As a warm up to Galloway and Benn) Also I would like to see Jermaine Jackson there.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salim201 wrote:
What has Russel Brand been saying on the subject?! From what I've heard he is left-wing, but ultimately doesn't seem to stand for anything concrete, having him on board would be brilliant though, I think he would gain more serious fans, he seems an informed and intelligent guy, a speech in trafalgar square with some articulate and poignant polemic, mixed with a gentle derision of our opponents and some dry humour, is something he is more than capable of! (As a warm up to Galloway and Benn) Also I would like to see Jermaine Jackson there.

I can understand wanting to see Brand but why would you like to see Jermaine Jackson there?
popinjay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salim201 wrote:
What has Russel Brand been saying on the subject?! From what I've heard he is left-wing, but ultimately doesn't seem to stand for anything concrete

He's very anti-imperialist, like George.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Salim201 wrote:

I can understand wanting to see Brand but why would you like to see Jermaine Jackson there?

because he's a peaceful moslem who's well known?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Salim201 wrote:

because he's a peaceful moslem who's well known?

I know he's a peaceful Muslim but I just didn't understand why him of all people. I'm sure there's loads out there like him and wonder if it was based on him being on CBB and the exposure he had from it.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
Personally I'm inclined to agree with Gervais who said that it is cringeworthy when celebs do get involved in politics because often their opinions are incredibly uninformed. The exception is usually musicians where you can count a few relatively well informed lefties, Damon Albarn, Robert Del Naja (Massive attack), Ian Brown etc. But then again musicians have always been more politcally active than chat show hosts or reality tv contestants for obvious reasons.

I'd agree with you on that one. I want to hear a musician for their music and not their view on politics..... same with actors and such. Now, if they want to become a politician, that's another thing. I'd hardly call myself the most "informed" person out there, but I like to chose where I get my information from and will likely to right to the source rather than rely on some celebrity's opinion of what they think is right.
mickyv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The George Michael cartoon mentioned in the show is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJ4zJkc9Eg

I have to say that I take the opposite view to eefanincan, in that I always want to hear or know about any musician’s or artist’s politics. If I disagree with their views it won’t change a good song/book/poem into a bad one, or vice versa, but I’m always interested in what motivates a person, especially if I like their work. For example I’ve always liked Springsteen, and I remember back in the 80’s when his Born In the USA record was released, it was hijacked by the American Right was a patriotic record, but not only did the lyrics go over their heads (I think all their ears could take in was the chorus!), but they obviously didn’t know anything about his basic beliefs, which he had expressed in most of this songs. Similarly most American were surprised when he recently came out openly against Bush, but not his fans because they already knew through his songs exactly what he believes in.

I think it takes an enormous amount of personal courage to state your principles publicly, especially in the lynch mob patriotic US. I remember the Dixie Chicks receiving death threats, & most radio stations refusing to play their records because they opposed the attack on Iraq. Now that, except for dimmest War Mongers, most people have realized what a terrible crime this was, the Dickie Chicks actually won the 2007 Grammy award last week.

The artists that I really despise are those who refuse to speak out on things they know are wrong, through fear of affecting their sales, the profit before principle people. Their type of music tends to be very bland anyway, the sort of background decoration music that you can talk over, rather than true meaningful music that moves you, which I believe is what true artists are supposed to do, but hey that’s just me !
PaintDry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Britney Spears had said, "I have shaved my head as a protest against the war!"
Comsatangel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom Yorke of Radiohead is very outspoken about climate change and Iraq. His solo album features a song about David Kelly. Problem is his antipathy towards the media, it doesn't make him a very good spokesman as he spends a great deal of any given interview laying into the journalist for the questions he is asking. Shame really, as he is clearly a very intelligent and knowledgeable chap.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickyv wrote:
The George Michael cartoon mentioned in the show is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJ4zJkc9Eg

I have to say that I take the opposite view to eefanincan, in that I always want to hear or know about any musician’s or artist’s politics. If I disagree with their views it won’t change a good song/book/poem into a bad one, or vice versa, but I’m always interested in what motivates a person, especially if I like their work. For example I’ve always liked Springsteen, and I remember back in the 80’s when his Born In the USA record was released, it was hijacked by the American Right was a patriotic record, but not only did the lyrics go over their heads (I think all their ears could take in was the chorus!), but they obviously didn’t know anything about his basic beliefs, which he had expressed in most of this songs. Similarly most American were surprised when he recently came out openly against Bush, but not his fans because they already knew through his songs exactly what he believes in.

I think it takes an enormous amount of personal courage to state your principles publicly, especially in the lynch mob patriotic US. I remember the Dixie Chicks receiving death threats, & most radio stations refusing to play their records because they opposed the attack on Iraq. Now that, except for dimmest War Mongers, most people have realized what a terrible crime this was, the Dickie Chicks actually won the 2007 Grammy award last week.

The artists that I really despise are those who refuse to speak out on things they know are wrong, through fear of affecting their sales, the profit before principle people. Their type of music tends to be very bland anyway, the sort of background decoration music that you can talk over, rather than true meaningful music that moves you, which I believe is what true artists are supposed to do, but hey that’s just me !

You make some good points there Smile I'm not saying that I'd never listen to a celebrity's political view, but sometimes it can get to be a bit much. I also like to know what motivates people, but generally people I'm surrounded with.

(it's sure nice to have a place where we can all have differing opinions and discuss them! Smile )
PaintDry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Chris Eubank I say.

Eubank arrested in Whitehall demo
Former world champion boxer Chris Eubank has been arrested for an alleged breach of the peace while demonstrating in his truck in Whitehall.
He had been driving a vehicle bearing a banner with a political message, the BBC's political desk said.

The banner, on the back of the truck, stated: "Blair, don't send our young prince to your catastrophic illegal war to make it look plausible".

Eubank was taken to Charing Cross Police Station.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/6387231.stm

Published: 2007/02/22 16:09:51 GMT

© BBC MMVII
luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwaarn eubank! i always thought he was a bit of a fool, but i have newly found respect for him, fair play to him Smile

i think this thing with harry is like eubank says, they are loosing support for the war, having trouble retaining soldiers, having trouble recruiting news one, and this we're sending the queens grandson stuff is just to kinda make us think, we'll the future kings sending his son so we can send our sons and daughters of to war. on the front page of some newspaper today it said harry would be guarded by the sas! i wouldn't like to be a troop serving with harry, you'll be the biggest target in iraq - his presence there will up the danger our troops are in i reckon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: