Dead pets give birth to diamond ring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Dead pets give birth to diamond ring Reply with quote

Englishwoman Sue Rogers will never be without her dead dogs and cat after having a diamond ring made from their ashes.

A newspaper reported Ms Rogers, from Devon in south-west England, paid 3,200 pounds ($A8,000) for the ring made from carbon extracted from the ashes of Lucky, an old English sheepdog, a golden retriever-cross called Sam and a tom cat called Patch.

"I am delighted with my ring as it means I can have my pets with me at all times," Ms Rogers told the Daily Mail newspaper.

"My animals meant the world to me and even though they are gone they are still with me. It's a beautiful ring and such a brilliant idea."

Ms Rogers, 44, had previously kept the ashes of her pets on her mantelpiece until she learnt of LifeGem UK, which makes diamonds from the remains of humans and pets.

A small amount of carbon from each set of ashes was heated at temperatures of 3,000 degrees Celsius to help make a rough diamond.

The stone was then polished and certified before being set in a gold band.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these advertised a while back and thought it was a pretty smart idea though also a bit creepy.
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is really neat. Creepy, yes, but neat.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't this happen on the TV soap "Footballer$ Wives"? If I remember correctly, a grieving widow had her husband's ashes made into a ring! "Art" imitating life, eh?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on the creepy but neat sentiment.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for my mother to come across with the one I had made of my grandmother in 05....

I paid for it but had to fly back here... left it in my mothers hands to pick it up, deal with it etc....

I think she decided to keep it (as it was her mom)... can't exactly demand it under the circumstances.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Still waiting for my mother to come across with the one I had made of my grandmother in 05....

I paid for it but had to fly back here... left it in my mothers hands to pick it up, deal with it etc....

I think she decided to keep it (as it was her mom)... can't exactly demand it under the circumstances.

I'm just very curious as to how expensive this was (I'm not asking you for the actual cost or anything... .really more of a comparison to another diamond ring of a similar size). I've never heard of this kind of thing before.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

I'm just very curious as to how expensive this was (I'm not asking you for the actual cost or anything... .really more of a comparison to another diamond ring of a similar size). I've never heard of this kind of thing before.

A hell of a lot more expensive... Sad

I could buy a 3 carat natural with decent clarity for the 3/4 carat I paid for...
But then knowing it's my grandmother (or her ashes) I would have paid 50 times that.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

A hell of a lot more expensive... Sad

I could buy a 3 carat natural with decent clarity for the 3/4 carat I paid for...
But then knowing it's my grandmother (or her ashes) I would have paid 50 times that.

That's understandable that you'd be willing to pay more Smile

I just still can't get over the fact that you can do this!
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the diamond made out of grandma?
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:

I had a 3/4 carat when cut made from 'some of her ashes'

Could have gone bigger, could have gone smaller but had a setting that was hers & wanted to replace the stone in it.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Marcella-FL wrote:

Could have gone bigger, could have gone smaller but had a setting that was hers & wanted to replace the stone in it.

That's nice that the stone could go in her old setting.

I've come to the conclusion that a ring like this would be a nice memory. The only "close" thing that I've done to this is with our wedding rings. We took some gold from both sides of the family and had it made into our wedding rings.... that way, we'll both always have a little bit of each other with us.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Marcella-FL wrote:

I think that it is beautiful. We still have dad's ashes and have thought about doing it, but even though I have the ashes, I will not do anything without my mom wanting to. She is still not sure if she wants to be cremated and their ashes mixed together or to be buried with daddy when it is her time.

We are thinking about it with Puck also. It would just be nice to know that some part of her would go on forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: