Sinn Fein Votes to Support Northern Ireland Police
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Sinn Fein Votes to Support Northern Ireland Police Reply with quote

Sinn Fein votes to support Northern Ireland police
Last Updated: Sunday, January 28, 2007 | 2:46 PM ET
CBC News
Members of the Republican Sinn Fein party voted overwhelmingly on Sunday to begin co-operating with the Northern Ireland police.

The vote, by hundreds of party members at a conference in Dublin, formally abandons Sinn Fein's decades-old hostility to legal law and order in the British territory.

The result was confirmed by a sea of raised hands, but no formally recorded vote.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the result increases the chances of reviving a Catholic-Protestant administration, the long-elusive goal of the 1998 Good Friday peace pact, by Britain's deadline of March 26.

"We will determine whether we have a basis for the future of Northern Ireland that allows us both to have power-sharing between Unionists and Republicans … and have a situation where everybody in Northern Ireland supports and supports properly the police, the courts and the criminal justice system."

The vote is considered a triumph for Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams.

The former Irish Republican Army commander has spent 24 years edging his party away from violence and toward compromise.

Sinn Fein is the political wing of the Irish Republican Army, which often targeted police during its armed campaign against British rule.

Adams called Sunday's decision "historic" and praised members for a move he said would give the party greater political strength.

"Today you have created the potential to change the political landscape on this island forever," Adams told the conference.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching this live earlier and it was a great thing to see. I don't think I've heard a full speech from Gerry Adams before, but he was strong and clear about the objectives.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Northern Ireland I'm happy to see things progress in a positive way for my country, but one thing I can hardly stomach reading in the article posted here is the following:

Quote:
The vote, by hundreds of party members at a conference in Dublin, formally abandons Sinn Fein's decades-old hostility to legal law and order in the British territory.

The hostility is not abandoned but put aside for the good of our country. There still isn't, and never should be full trust of the Northern Irish Police Services because they're a corrupt lot of pricks, and the wording 'legal law' is repulsive.

The worst kick in the gut is the wording 'British territory'. I know some might think I'm petty but try having your country you love being named as belonging to another when it's not their fucking business to be there in the first place nevermind taking claim to it. They are the cause of all the problems in the first place by their intrusion and almost theft of a culture.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

The worst kick in the gut is the wording 'British territory'. I know some might think I'm petty but try having your country you love being named as belonging to another when it's not their fucking business to be there in the first place nevermind taking claim to it. They are the cause of all the problems in the first place by their intrusion and almost theft of a culture.

I can see where you're coming from.... I hope it didn't offend you, because that wasn't the goal of my posting the article. At least it's a step in the right direction for things.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

I can see where you're coming from.... I hope it didn't offend you, because that wasn't the goal of my posting the article. At least it's a step in the right direction for things.

No eefan of course you didn't offend me by posting the article. It's a newsworthy story that will interest a good amount of people.

The difference between me and most people reading it is I've lived it all my life so I can't jump up cheering thinking all is going to be rosy. I, like so many of my fellow countrymen have a lot of deep seeded anger and for very good reasons. Sure this is a step in the right direction, but as far as I'm concerned it's only a fraction of what needs doing.

I won't go on any further other than to say I'm 'fine' with the news, but not overwhelmed.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t trust any of the bastards.Northern Ireland is what it is and that is. The northern part of the Irish Republic. Not a part of part of the British Empire. nyer
janbo1960

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Don’t trust any of the bastards.Northern Ireland is what it is and that is. The northern part of the Irish Republic. Not a part of part of the British Empire. nyer

I agree Fritz......Kind of how the Native Indians feel in America.......
fritz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:

I agree jambo.......Kind of how the Native Aborigines feel with the Aussies sitting there Island.......
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:

Trust doesn't come into it at all for us fritz. How could we possibly trust after all we've seen throughout the years and lived through? Just because Sinn Fein is calling for us to support this doesn't mean they're asking us to trust the PSNI, but we do have to try and make a difference in how the country is run, and by us opposing this only ruins any chance of having a share in the events that shape the country from here on, and at the end of the day we want a peaceful Northern Ireland. We all deserve it as we've lived through hell for far too long now.

I trust in Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness as I know they've our best intentions at heart, and my biggest concern is Ian Paisley in all this. He's pure evil and will do whatever he can to halt the process from going forward and put up as many roadblocks as he possibly can because he's a bitter old cunt.

The day that filthy son of a bitch dies is the day I'll be doing the jig with a pint in my hand and I'm sure it'll be echoed by thousands.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:

I agree jambo.......Kind of how the Native Aborigines feel with the Aussies sitting there Island.......

I agree Fitz....... thats why I dont go on about Ireland... i guess THAT would be hypoctritical!!!
fritz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:

I agree Fitz....... thats why I dont go on about Ireland... i guess THAT would be hypoctritical!!!
I agree jambo ……..I am an Irish citizen so I have the right to opine on the subject of Ireland. Yes you are a hypocrite to whinge about America while you done the same to your native population.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:

I agree jambo ……..I am an Irish citizen so I have the right to opine on the subject of Ireland. Yes you are a hypocrite to whinge about America while you done the same to your native population.

I agree Fitz....... You are IRISH!!!!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:
janbo1960 wrote:
fritz wrote:

I agree Fitz....... You are IRISH!!!!

Will you two shut your holes or I'll give ye some Irish ye won't soon forget! slap blink

You're both banned from using the word 'agree' for 24 hours Razz
janbo1960

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: