MSC Napoli and them damned scavengers ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: MSC Napoli and them damned scavengers ... Reply with quote

https://exchange.dnv.com/exchange/main.aspx?extool=vessel&subview=summary&vesselid=24568

The MSC Napoli lies in the English channel off the Devonshire coast. Every news channel, every talk show one listens to, gives the morals. If you "steal" anything from the beach you are a pariah of society blah blah blah. It must have been something of a beach party for the poor beleaguered tax payers of Devon. i also wonder how many would have turned up to clean the beach if instead of being festooned with all sorts of bibles from south africa and nappies, was instead festooned with crude oil, but that's another question.

Someone said this morning that due to this public interest the environmental damage caused by this wreck has increased by 800 %.

surely the real questions that should be asked should be directed to the owners of the MSC Napoli, what are they doing about recovering any lost cargo? what are they going to do about environmental damage, and to the coasguard, why was it run aground where it was and not towed into the nearest port ? which was an option.

And importantly, amongst all this fog of greed and pillage, what exactly has happened to the dangerous part of the cargo?

I'm sure you can think of your own questions, far more important than worrying about a few nappies being auctioned at ebay.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it happened near here I'd be down fighting for a BMW motorbike! The real greed that tese media arses should be complaining about comes in the form of those companies who would allow their "precious" cargoes to be held outside on the deck in the first place. If they weren't penny-pinching money-grubbers they'd have made sure their products were better protected - and that's done by paying more money to make sure their containers are inside the ship. I'd laugh in their greedy corporate faces given the chance.

The environmental damage does seem pretty limited just now and as they've setup a boom around the ship (knowing fine well that they'd be liable for clean-up costs if they didn't) I'm hoping there won't be too much disruption to local wildlife etc.

All in all its the best mannered looting mob I've ever seen - and I say good luck to the scavengers.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get all manner of stuff washed up here on our beaches & in the bays...

Mostly old pirate treasure...
I'm not kidding either.

This area was a huge hang out for pirates & a few of their ships sank here along with a few misfortunate ships that fell to the pirates in one of our bays.

It's not unusual to see hoards of people out on the beaches after a decent storm with a good handful finding gold coins etc.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that on the news last night and wished I was there. I'd of brought a truck! There was some wicked stuff there Very Happy
nar8or

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge shame about the environmental damage to the coastline - and all that rubbish going in the sea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: