The world's worst sounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: The world's worst sounds Reply with quote

Revealed: the worst sounds in the world
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The sound of fingernails scraping down a blackboard is more likely to make us stick our fingers in our ears than the dreaded whistle of the dentist's drill. Other sonic nasties that will have us reaching for earplugs include barking dogs, crying babies and the spinechilling screeches of the Tasmanian Devil. But when it comes to auditory assaults, someone throwing up is the most horrible sound in the world, according to scientists.

Vomiting topped a list of 34 horrible sounds voted on by more than 1.1million people in a worldwide online experiment. It beat microphone feedback (second), violins (sixth), farting (seventh) and soap opera arguments (ninth) as the noises we hate most. Surprisingly, irritating mobile ringtones, such as the Crazy Frog, came in only 12th, while squeaking polystyrene was a new entry in the top 20.

Prof Trevor Cox, of the acoustic research centre at Salford University, which carried out the study, said: 'We are programmed to be repulsed by horrible things such as vomiting because it is fundamental to staying alive to avoid nasty stuff.' The explanation for some of our other noise no-nos is less obvious. 'The sound of fingernails scraping down a blackboard has been compared to the warning cries of monkeys – again, something we might instinctively respond to because of our ancestry,' added Prof Cox. The one sound calculated to have more men than women running for cover was babies crying. Prof Cox now plans to research the nicest sounds.

THOSE APPALLING SOUNDS IN FULL:

1. Vomiting
2. Microphone feedback
3= Babies crying
3= Scrape or squeak (eg: train wheels)
5. Seesaw squeaking
6. Violin
7= Fart
7= A baby crying
9= Argument on a soap opera
9= Mains electricity hum
11. Tasmanian devil
12= Cat spitting and howling
12= Coughing
12= Mobile ringtones
15. Creaky door
16= Dogs barking
16= Sniffing
16= Fingernails scraping down a blackboard
16= Polystyrene squeak

---------------

I think the puking sound is all about proximity, but I'm surprised they've not got forks against teeth, that always gets me... grrrr
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my top ten:

1. Coughing (that loud unproductive "Oh my god get a lozenge!" kind)
2. Microphone feedback
3. Dogs barking for no damn reason!
4. Parrots squawking because the kid next door won't leave it the F*@! alone!
5. Loud Belching (you could muffle it or at LEAST say excuse me!!!)
6. Farting
7. Mobile ringtones (especially if they continue for too long - you're just showing off then!)
8. Crunching snow under foot
9. The styrofoam thing - excuse me - polystyrene
10. knife scraping on a plate and/or utensils clicking on the plate.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top ten would be:

1. Barman calling "Drink up, time to leave"

2. Police siren (behind me)

3. Kids asking "are we there yet"?

4. Knocking hard drive (you know you have only a matter of time before it's dead).

5. Sound of all the machines in an emergancy room (machines that go PING etc...).

6. Badly dubbed fake orgasms in pr0n movies.

7. Leaky / faulty toilet cisterns (continual dripping or running as they constantly fill).

8. 95% of DJ's who insist on talking on a mic instead of playing music (except of course radio DJ's then it's about 85%).

9. The sound produced in the stall next to me in a public toilet as somebody suffers from a liquid erruption from their botty...

10. The quiet after a massive exposion in a populated place (been too close to a few...).
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like soap opera arguments, personally.

I don't really have a top 10, but I'd say my number one is the sound of the cash register beeps as they scan the bar codes...over and over and over and over. And you can hear every f'ing one in the store. Drives me batty.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind would be:

1. People who eat loud
2. Fingernails scraping down a blackboard
3. Someone that has a whistle in their speech
4. Dentist drill
5. Scraping forks/knives on a plate
6. Burping loudly
7. Dogs barking endlessly
8. Faucet dripping
9. Creaky doors
10. Nasty smokers cough
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys have covered most of the really "grating" sounds. Something that annoys me at times are someone rapping their nails repeatedly on a table or some hard surface while you're trying to concentrate or do something. The other is someone who repeatedly clicks their retractable pen over and over and over and over and over ....... Smile
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that really irritates me is when I'm staying at my dad's house in Florida, and the night animals make the constant, repetitive noises over and over and over again. There is one animal that I can't even tell what it is from the noise it makes, but I can't fall asleep 'cause it drills in my head. That is in the top 5 somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I think you guys have covered most of the really "grating" sounds. Something that annoys me at times are someone rapping their nails repeatedly on a table or some hard surface while you're trying to concentrate or do something. The other is someone who repeatedly clicks their retractable pen over and over and over and over and over ....... Smile

When I hear someone tapping their nails repeatedly on any surface it can literally put me to sleep. There are certain sounds that can knock me out real quick and that would be one of them.

When the housemates go into the diary room on big brother and tap their fingers on the chair it's almost hypnotic to me. I haven't a clue why but it just sends me on the nod crazed
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add one more to my list of one: the thumping of car stereos...especially when it is parked next door and is played all day.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

When I hear someone tapping their nails repeatedly on any surface it can literally put me to sleep. There are certain sounds that can knock me out real quick and that would be one of them.

When the housemates go into the diary room on big brother and tap their fingers on the chair it's almost hypnotic to me. I haven't a clue why but it just sends me on the nod crazed

Hmmm.... I wouldn't suggest that you ever get a manicure Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:
I have to add one more to my list of one: the thumping of car stereos...especially when it is parked next door and is played all day.

Amen! And cats in heat outside your bedroom window and neighbors who don't bring their dogs in from barking at 2 am
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

Hmmm.... I wouldn't suggest that you ever get a manicure Smile

Oh I've had loads, but I just have to tell them to poke me with a file when I start snoring Cool
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
girldorksrule wrote:

Amen! And cats in heat outside your bedroom window and neighbors who don't bring their dogs in from barking at 2 am

I'd not mention cats in heat right now. Someone on this forum is having a bit of a problem in that area....and unfortunately the cat isn't outside their bedroom window Laughing shhh
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:
girldorksrule wrote:

I'd not mention cats in heat right now. Someone on this forum is having a bit of a problem in that area....and unfortunately the cat isn't outside their bedroom window Laughing shhh

Laughing Leave for a few days and look what happens!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the offending cat... she's trying to shag my bike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: