Haupia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Haupia Reply with quote

I first had this at a lu'au and it was fabulous. It is a coconut custard type pudding thing and it is very very simple and something that I can actually make (and it is edible when I'm done). There are many recipes out there for haupia, but I have found this one to be the easiest and tastiest.

2 cups coconut milk
1 cup whole milk (no skimping on the milk using soy or 2% or anything)
6 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch

I have found that in order to get the right consistancy (and consistancy is very important in this recipe), combine the sugar and cornstarch. Then pour one cup coconut milk into a small blender type device. Slowly add a small amount of the sugar and cornstarch mixture and blend thoroughly. Add a bit more of the sugar and cornstartch mixture and blend thoroughly. Do this until it is all blended super smooth. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over low, stirring constantly until thickened. Once thickened, add the other cup of coconut milk and one cup of whole milk (no skimping!) and continue to heat and stir until thickened.

Pour into an 8-inch square pan and chill until firm. You can then cut the haupia into little squares. Enjoy.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is a great recipe. She's made it for me before and I just love it. The feeling of it is a bit weird but the taste is great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: