Leopard on the rampage...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Leopard on the rampage... Reply with quote

Leopard brings terror to housing estate
by OLIVER STALLWOOD - Thursday, January 18, 2007

There was a time when domesticated urban cats did little more than fight in back alleys, miaow all night and bring home the occasional dead bird. City-dwelling felines in India, however, are a different prospect entirely – as these pictures illustrate. This young leopard brought terror to a housing estate in the holy city of Nashik, near Mumbai, this week. The big cat darted across a busy park, scaled a boundary wall into a gated community and began scavenging for food in the gardens. As terrified families locked their doors and windows, a few residents managed to corner the beast and tried to drive it away with sticks. Leopards being leopards, of course, it did not take kindly to this and tried to fight back, giving at least one brave soul a nasty nip on the arm. Eventually, the leopard was overpowered and beaten to death.

The residents' brutal response may have been provoked by reports of a leopard killing and eating three children in the north-western state of Kashmir earlier this month. There, residents chased down and killed a leopard on Wednesday after it reportedly attacked two boys. Zoologists say attacks could occur more often as India's economic boom leads to rapid urbanisation and the destruction of natural wildlife habitats.

--------------

there is video of this too, but I couldn't get it working - not much fun seeing something being battered to death though eh?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the video didn't work. Although I don't like seeing humans in danger I'd still not like to see an animal being beaten to death. I'd of not slept for a week if I did.

He's really lucky he only got away with his arm being hurt. That's just incredibly sad about children being eaten, and perhaps it's time they think about taking all the land these animals are use to living on.

They've 1000's of monkeys running all over one town because their land was also built upon and there's no place for them to go, and their food sources are being destroyed just as this leopards has.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible story all around. I am glad the video didn't work either. I couldn't stand to see the animal beaten to death.
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it fascinating that we continue to encroach on the animals and they are the ones to blame when they fight back.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:
I find it fascinating that we continue to encroach on the animals and they are the ones to blame when they fight back.

That's always fascinated me as well. You see people get this stupid look of shock on their face when they see a wolf, deer etc near their home and they actually find it extraordinary. Little do they realise, their natural habitat is right where their sittingroom is.

The leopard in the story and monkeys I mentioned have no other recourse than to go into populated areas. Their food source is gone and there's no other place for them to go, and although I find it a horrendous tragedy that children were killed, you can't blame the animals for doing what comes natural when they're starving to death.

.....nice to see you back by the way Smile
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...good to be back. It is tragic that kids are killed. And it is natural for animals to do it even if they aren't starving. They are just like us...very territorial. We just have better means for taking over the territory Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: