Celtic to bid for Beckham?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Celtic to bid for Beckham? Reply with quote

GORDON Strachan offered only a cryptic response to Celtic's purported interest in bringing David Beckham back to British football. Reports in Spain suggest the Real Madrid board are preparing to offload the former England captain who has slipped to the sidelines under coach Fabio Capello.

Beckham has expressed little inclination to return to England and, at 31, is considered too young to make the move to Major League Soccer in America. Celtic remain an intriguing option and one that, if financially viable, the club's chief executive, Peter Lawwell, may pursue. Yesterday, Strachan refused to discount a transfer. "You can never say never about anyone and I can't say 'no' about ins or outs," he said coyly.

However, Strachan has stressed that defence is the priority area to strengthen. Gary Caldwell is out for two months with a knee injury, Bobo Balde, who endured a torrid return to favour against Manchester United, lacks match sharpness, while John Kennedy is not close to first-team consideration after two and a half years spent recovering from a knee injury.

"Gary is out for two months with a completely different injury than he had," said Strachan. "I feel for him. Balde didn't feel good about his performance in the first-half but he did something about it. I have no fears with him." Strachan, too, has no worries about the United result overshadowing domestic matters.

---------------

If Celtic do go further in the Champions League I think this could be a possibility, but I really can't see the Celtic fans getting behind him, though you never know - anyone's a hero if they score the right goals at the right time...
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat trick in an old firm game should do!!!
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Beckham would go there, no offence to the mighty Celtic, But after u have played at the biggest club in thr world and Real Madrid why would he go to Celtic?
I just cant imagine him in that League.......But hey been some great players in the Celtic team (Keane!!) so u never know

There is alot of talk of him going to USA , I think he has stated that he would never play for an English club...

Barry
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btaylo24 wrote:
I can't believe Beckham would go there, no offence to the mighty Celtic, But after u have played at the biggest club in thr world and Real Madrid why would he go to Celtic?
I just cant imagine him in that League.......But hey been some great players in the Celtic team (Keane!!) so u never know

There is alot of talk of him going to USA , I think he has stated that he would never play for an English club...

Barry

well, the money would be great and if Celtic do build on what they've done in Europe then next season's guaranteed presence in the championship could be a reason to sign up. I was quite surprised when Keane signed, but while he was great once, the disappointing fact is he did about this much at Celtic.
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faceless

True about Keane, he was past his sell by date when u had him...But I think they thought he'd give them something in midfield? Didn't work out........

I used to know a guy who is/was Keane's best friend, Michael (cant remember second name) an Irish guy who Keane has been friends with since he came to england...

He had great snaps of after they won the champions League with the CUP (down in the dressing room)..
Also snaps of him and the Beckhams at same game..
Used to make me sick with jelously! He was a nice guy (think his second name was "Constable")

Barry

/////////
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faceless

What do the top players at Celtic get a week?
All the haggis they can eat???!??
Boom Boom?
Crying
Barry
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btaylo24 wrote:
Faceless

What do the top players at Celtic get a week?
All the haggis they can eat???!??
Boom Boom?
Crying
Barry

at least it's not humble pie like Man U got a plateful of last week eh?

nyer
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Good one...That will teach me!
Barry
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, he's actually off to LA on a $1m a week deal? Fecking nora! Obviously this team are more interested in PR than play, so bollocks to them. For that money they could get a whole world class team!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have played for half that.....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard on the news that LA Galaxy sold 1000 season tickets yesterday on the basis of the news. Also, what I'm hearing is that his actual basic wage is less than he got at Real, but that he's got a great merchandising deal.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Los Angeles Galaxy have completed arguably the biggest transaction in MLS history Thursday, signing midfielder David Beckham from Real Madrid.

Beckham has agreed to a five-year deal with the Galaxy. He'll join the club during the summer transfer window after his contract with Real expires on June 30.

"This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons," Beckham said in a statement. "After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own."

The move was made possible by the November implementation of the league's Designated Player rule, which states that a club may sign one player at a salary above the league maximum, with the league paying for the amount up to the maximum and the club picking up the rest.

"David Beckham is a global sports icon who will transcend the sport of soccer in America," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "His decision to continue his storied career in Major League Soccer is testament to the fact that America is rapidly becoming a true 'Soccer Nation' with Major League Soccer at the core. In the last few years, MLS has added three new teams, six new owners, four new soccer specific stadiums and signed four long term television agreements. The addition of David Beckham represents another significant step forward for the MLS and the sport."

Under new Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello, Beckham has seen his playing time decrease at the Bernabeu. This season, Beckham has started 10 of Real's 17 games and come off the bench in two more, playing a total of 601 minutes so far. He's scored twice, including once off a free kick, and he's provided one assist.

Perhaps the most well known soccer player in the world, Beckham is renowned for his superior crossing ability and masterful free kicks. His free kick strike against Greece in 2001 sent England to the 2002 World Cup Finals.

Though he has yet to appear for England under new national team boss Steve McClaren since the 2006 World Cup, Beckham has made 94 appearances for his country, good for fifth all-time on the squad. He made his debut for Glenn Hoddle in 1996, and served as captain from late 2000 through this past summer's World Cup.

The winger has scored a total of 17 goals on the national team level. Arguably the most important of them was his penalty kick goal against archrival Argentina in the opening round of the 2002 World Cup. The goal was the only one of the game, providing England with a 1-0 win to help soothe the pain of their shootout loss to the South Americans in the first knockout round in 1998. Beckham was sent off in that defeat.

At the club level, Beckham signed as a trainee with Manchester United in 1991 after playing in the Tottenham Hotspur youth system, and he made his senior debut with the Red Devils two years later.

During a decade-long career with United, Beckham won six English Premiership titles, including in 1999, when the club won the storied "treble" by claiming the Premiership, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League trophies in a single season. Beckham and Man United also captured the FA Cup in 1996. He scored a total of 86 goals with the club.

In 2003, Beckham was sold to Real Madrid for a staggering $41 million. He was part of Real president Florentino Pérez´s campaign to acquire a club of megastars, which also brought Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo and Ronaldo to the Bernabeu. Despite their star-studded lineup, though, Real haven't been able to win a trophy since the 2002-03 campaign.

In addition to being a talent on the field, Beckham has proven to be a massive boon to the bottom line. When he signed with Real, sales of jerseys and other merchandise skyrocketed, helping Real to eventually overtake United as the richest club in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: