Larsson signs for Man U

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Larsson signs for Man U Reply with quote

Man Utd capture Larsson on loan

Manchester United will sign veteran striker Henrik Larsson on a three-month loan deal in January. The 35-year-old former Celtic striker will leave current club Helsingborg on 1 January and will return on 12 March in time for the Swedish season. Larsson said: "United have been after me before, after the first or second season with Celtic. It feels good to come and play for such a big club. I may not start every match, but it feels like a fun thing."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is short of options up front, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer injured and Alan Smith still seeking full fitness. That leaves Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha as his only recognised strikers. Ferguson said: "I have always admired Larsson. I made a move for him when he was at Celtic but then they managed to persuade him to stay. He is a great player. It is a terrific bit of business for us. We are bringing someone in who can change a game."

Larsson left Barcelona at the end of last season to join hometown club Helsingborg, helping them to a fourth-placed league finish and the Swedish Cup in his first season. However, their normal season ended in November, leaving Larsson free to play for United.

"I know the players," said Larsson. "I have played against many of them, so it's not a new thing. I hope the situation will be easier, knowing the faces and names. I will go over there to play as much as possible - but I have no idea of how they want to use me. We will see how much playing time there will be. Am I a back-up? Yes, at the beginning. Then you will see what I can contribute and how things are going. We have not discussed a jersey number at all. We will see what it will be."

Larsson spent two years in Spain and played a decisive role in this year's Champions League final when he came on in the second half and set up both goals in the defeat of Arsenal. The Swede joined Barca in 2004 following a hugely successful seven-year spell at Celtic, where he is widely hailed as one of the best players in the club's history. He scored 242 goals in more than 300 appearances for the Scottish club.

Former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill was recently asked if he might be interested in signing Larsson for current club Aston Villa, but said he had not been in contact with the striker. The pair will meet again on 13 January when United meet Villa at Old Trafford.

---------------

That line about Ferguson trying to sign him from Celtic years ago says it all about how big a team Celtic really is - and you can be certain it wasn't just about the money!

I think he will do well for Man U though - he's been a consistently genuine world-class player for many years, which isn't something you can say for many players at any club.
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that will be a good signing for MANU, There is no doubting he's a class striker and sure can bring something to the team (until ole and alan are back)

He's got good europe experieance....Looking forward to seeing him play

Barry
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?1M FOR 10 WEEKS WORK AT UTD
By Simon Mullock

HENRIK LARSSON will pick up more than ?1million for his 10-week loan spell at Manchester United. The Sweden international will be paid a basic salary in excess of ?100,000-a-week after agreeing to move to Old Trafford from Helsingborgs before the Swedish League begins in March.

His mega-deal puts him on a par with top United earners and represents the biggest weekly wage deal of the 35-year-old's career. United's basic salary is higher than he received helping Barcelona to a Champions League- Spanish title double last season. But the 35-year-old Swede is not solely motivated by money. He decided to put pride before cash when he agreed to return to Helsingborgs last summer on a nominal salary.

------------

nice little earner there!
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all for 10 weeks work!!!

Lets hope he does something for us, Is he going to stay longer or is it just 10 weeks?

Barry
Griffo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm going for the wrong career..
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he did pretty well in his first game eh? It seems wrong to see him in the Man U shirt though, he should be up here wearing the hoops!
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nick, "Brown sauce" comes from a meeting from villa and blues supporters and St Pauli supporters on a trip to Hamburg.

I am not one of the original members, but have supported Villa since the glory days of the third division in the seventies and I have supported St Pauli ever since I saw them and particularly their fan base some years ago, long before this meeting.

So I don't think that the Brown Sauce is unfitting.

I do think that Mr. Larson should be playing for his old boss, and not scoring goals against him.

I am also of the opinion that Sir Alex played a master stroke when he got Mr Larson to join Man. Utd. But I'm keeping that thought to myself ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: