Russian heatwave hits 7 degrees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbo1960

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Russian heatwave hits 7 degrees Reply with quote

Russia is experiencing its warmest December on record.

Perhaps only in Moscow could a top temperature of seven degrees be described as a heatwave.

But in the middle of December, it is unheard of in the Russian capital.

It hit that high last week and is expected to again this weekend.

Bears in the Moscow Zoo have not yet been able to hibernate and mushrooms are again flourishing in the forests.

Scientists are reluctant to link the extraordinary weather to global warming, but it has not stopped most of the locals, who say a few extra degrees of warmth might not be a bad thing for Russia.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the headline gave me a laugh, but that is sadly not a shocker. We've had the wettest December ever on record here and it's only halfway through the month.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world is a topsy turvey place my friends, welcome to the real world...

Most people blame 'global warming' but don't forget... the world is not a complete sphere & it's axis shifts slowly but constantly...

Go back into history, deep history & we see that world events happen gradualy without the aid of aerosol cans & such...
At one point most of the planet was covered in Ice & snow, at another it was muddy, at another desert like...

It's possible that Russia was nice & toasty warm at one point 7 it's starting to get back that way...

Due to the orbit we are in, the odd orbit of everything else about us & the mere shape of out not so globe like planet, it's no wonder things appear odd...
In another 200 years it may well be more water than land again... maybe 2000 years.

But I can tell you this, it ain't all global warming due to polutants as some would have us think.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
But I can tell you this, it ain't all global warming due to polutants as some would have us think.

there's no doubt that seasons change fairly wildly, but never in human experience have they changed so much so quickly. What used to take 500 years is now happening in 50.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

there's no doubt that seasons change fairly wildly, but never in human experience have they changed so much so quickly. What used to take 500 years is now happening in 50.

This is so true. I was watching a program with Al Gore on it the other day and he was talking about exactly this topic. I certainly remember colder winters when I was a kid...... and our winters here are still darn cold!!!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting that we are not as humans contributing to it...

But I can't help but think about times such as the ICE AGE, there was nobody about taking down records to say that things sped up for about 50 or 100 years & then slowed down a lil' before (or after) the big freeze.

We do know from digging up 'layers' from all over the world that areas freeze over, heat up, dry out, become flooded etc...
They say "within" a certain time frame, but they can't say exact dates... to them a time frame can be a thousand years off & they still feel it accurate.

The weather paterns we see now the world over (warmer in some areas, colder in others, ice caps melting etc) could have more to do with our axis shifting & our orbit...
This is also something we know happens but can't track or pinpoint over history nor know from the past the exact results dire or otherwise.

If we are to agree with all the ozone layer ppl (The sky is falling), we have to stop farting, stop animals farting etc etc...
It's not just aerosols & burning fuels....

Has anybody noticed tho' how these people who harp on about the ozone (or at least start the chanting) usualy work for companies with alternatives... (do I smell a conspiracy theory).

Yet the people who study the earths motion, the axis shift etc... these folks are the ones without an agenda, also the folks who get ignored...

Hmmmm....

Ohh well, anybody fancy some snow boarding in the sahara in 2055?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
I'm not suggesting that we are not as humans contributing to it...

But I can't help but think about times such as the ICE AGE, there was nobody about taking down records to say that things sped up for about 50 or 100 years & then slowed down a lil' before (or after) the big freeze.

We do know from digging up 'layers' from all over the world that areas freeze over, heat up, dry out, become flooded etc...
They say "within" a certain time frame, but they can't say exact dates... to them a time frame can be a thousand years off & they still feel it accurate.

But they can be that accurate through dendrochronological means. Dendrochronology entails checking the rings inside frozen or otherwise preserved trees for evidence of growth spurts which indicate the weather at a specific time. (thanks to Time Team for that bit of knowledge!).

I find that looking for all these other reasons such as the planet shifting its axis is basically ignoring the facts which are in front of you. There is only so much momentum in the planet's current movement and I can't see how that would change dramatically as the changes we are witnessing. And anyway, if that was the case the sun would start rising in different places at different times - and we'd certainly be noticing that.

I'd say that it basically comes down to people being selfish and unprepared to give up their little luxuries. As an example, if you were in a closed building and smoked a cigarette then it wouldn't really affect much - but if 80000 people in the same space lit a cigarette then the whole place becomes polluted. It's that simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: