How to rip a dvd easily

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: How to rip a dvd easily Reply with quote

If you want to rip a dvd then the process is fairly simple, though it's one of these things that you just need to work at for a bit to master.

The easiest way to do it is first of all to get the contents of the disc onto your hard drive and I do this using DVD Decrypter which you can download by clicking HERE

Basically you just set the directory to save to and click on the start button and away it goes. This part of the process is included because converting a file directly from the DVD is much slower. The fact that this (legal and free) program will take the contents of a protected disc is just an added feature...

Now you need to convert the files that have been dumped to your hard drive to divx or xvid, and for that you need a program like ImToo's DVD Ripper, which you can download by clicking HERE

This is a simple to use program really, but you need to set the output settings correctly, I use mp3 at 160k/s and Xvid at 900kb/s for a usual dvd rip, though these are settings you can mess about with depending on the particular video you are converting.

I'll do more of a description for this later as there's a good bit to do really, meanwhile get these programs, try them out and see what you can do. If you've got that far it's more perseverance than huge amounts of knowledge that matters... patience is truly a virtue in this game!
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I love to rip some of my DVD's. I'll have to try this....
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To rip a dvd and burn it as one, I use DVD Shrink...it'll strip protection and all that shite and fit a movie on a 4gb disc, handy for the inlaws who haven't got a hacked player....but nero encode does a good job too.

To convert movies the other way, from avi etc to dvd, I use Avi2DVD, find the file, find the output, and bang, it's off and does it's thing...for tele shows, I'll then use dvd shrink or nero encode to combine each episode dvd into one dvd, bit clunky, but it's quick and easy.

everything available at www.filehippo.com for free.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for making things more confusing bob.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to rip a dvd easily Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
If you want to rip a dvd then the process is fairly simple, though it's one of these things that you just need to work at for a bit to master.

The easiest way to do it is first of all to get the contents of the disc onto your hard drive and I do this using DVD Decrypter which you can download by clicking HERE

Basically you just set the directory to save to and click on the start button and away it goes. This part of the process is included because converting a file directly from the DVD is much slower. The fact that this (legal and free) program will take the contents of a protected disc is just an added feature...

Now you need to convert the files that have been dumped to your hard drive to divx or xvid, and for that you need a program like ImToo's DVD Ripper, which you can download by clicking HERE

This is a simple to use program really, but you need to set the output settings correctly, I use mp3 at 160k/s and Xvid at 900kb/s for a usual dvd rip, though these are settings you can mess about with depending on the particular video you are converting.

I'll do more of a description for this later as there's a good bit to do really, meanwhile get these programs, try them out and see what you can do. If you've got that far it's more perseverance than huge amounts of knowledge that matters... patience is truly a virtue in this game!

Thanks for your great directions, Face. I'll check them out in more detail over the weekend but this will really help alot. Thanks for taking the time to help us "newbies" figure out this stuff.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..... I've used the DVD Decrypter and that part of the process went off without a hitch. I've been trying to convert the file using ImToo but the link will only let me do 5 min and when I start that, it gives me an error message that says:

AVISWrite stream failed.

I haven't adjusted any settings --- only to choose AVI for the output format and the output directory where I want the file to go.

*** I understand that with this version I will only be able to convert 5 min of video (same thing with the other link you gave me, Face) but I'd be happy to accomplish that at this point.

I tried to look at some of the files that were suggested at www.filehippo.com, but I didn't know where to begin.

Any help you can give me as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. I really do want to share :doh:
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the DVD converter program and it's unregistered and will only allow the first 5 minutes of programs. Crying
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:
I opened the DVD converter program and it's unregistered and will only allow the first 5 minutes of programs. Crying

Check your pm
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and bless you and Face !!!! Very Happy
radiomanpj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using, DVD fab decrypter, Dvd decrypter, DVD shrink and AnyDVD.

AnyDVD removes the really pesky copy protection and lets me use DVD shrink to compress the DVD down under 4.7Gb.

I also have DVDx and other prgs to rip to just files when I need to.

I have some older sets that don't like macrovision to well.

the web site

http://www.videohelp.com/

Has a lot of really good reviews of units as well as tutorials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: