Gas Guzzlers to pay extra tax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Gas Guzzlers to pay extra tax Reply with quote

Gas guzzlers to pay ?25 a trip
By Louise Male

DRIVERS of gas-guzzling cars could soon pay ?25 to enter London's congestion charge zone. Mayor Ken Livingstone wants the higher fee on heavy-polluters such as 4x4s, dubbed "Chelsea Tractors", to cut carbon emissions. It also emerged yesterday that 10 other councils in England are considering congestion zones fees for big polluting cars.

The levy, on vehicles in the new tax band G with the highest CO2 emissions, could come in by 2009, but Mr Livingstone is pressing for an earlier date. He said: "Those who buy them an afford to choose from pretty much the whole market, but buy one of the most polluting vehicles. We are encouraging people to take into account the environmental impact." He said that vehicles in tax bands A or B, introduced by the Chancellor in March, such as the Toyota Prius, with the lowest emissions, will be exempt. The current ?8 charge will be levied on cars in Bands C, D, E, F, with emissions between 120g and 225g per km.

Christopher Macgowan, of the Society of Motor Manufacturers, accused the Mayor of a "war on the affluent." He said: "Families that need people carriers and estate cars, but who already pay higher road tax and fuel costs, will be hit by a triple whammy."

The Government yesterday announced ?18million funding for 10 councils which want a congestion charge fees system for polluting motors. A Department of Transport spokeswoman said: "We need to look at the benefits of tackling congestion in the UK as part of road pricing research." Three weeks ago, Richmond council, South London, announced emissions-based parking charges. Councillor David Trigg said: "I have no doubt other authorities will also follow suit."

-------------

A war on the affluent? Awwww, those poor little rich polluters. Even if it wasn't for the environmental aspect I'd still say these vehicles should be taxed highly simply for the damage they can do to anyone else on the road and the fact that bigger vehicles means more congestion for the average driver. They're selfish bastards in other words!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd have to disagree with Mr. Faceless on this one, but then again, we all knew I would, right? LOL!! I don't agree that SUV's are a "rich man's car". I find them quite affordable here. I thought about getting one myself, and I'm by no means rich. 25.00 pounds per trip into the city? That's ridiculous. Another way of the state making an excuse to stick their hands in the taxpayer's pockets in the name of the "environment". I would fight this tooth and nail as a citizen. Since I'm not a citizen....I have no worries....LOL dancer Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Griffo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making money out of a disaster..shame on the government.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, my husband and I were having a similar discussion the other day regarding gas guzzling vehicles. I really think there should be some sort of tax on these kinds of vehicles, in particular the very huge ones (who really needs a Hummer vehicle????????). We make an effort to choose reasonably efficient cars and try to only take one car whenever it can be done. It really bothers me when I see these huge vehicles driving around town with only one person in them.

But then again, I think the 25 BGP fee is a bit excessive. That would be like me paying $63. each way to work. Too much. And unfortunately, the bus isn't an option either.
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Face on this one!

I'm a bit of an eco-geek and I care about the environment. We only have one car, which is a little Mazda. My hubby gets the bus to work - thankfully it runs at the right time for him. However, I have to use the car as our bus only runs into town early morning and from town in the evening. Not the hours of a student! Laughing

I think I've hated SUVs ever since I was in an accident with one in the UK a few years ago. The woman driver tried to blame the accident on me. Hell, she spun off the kerb after losing control on some ice, and then spun 180 degrees to end up coming toward me on the inside lane of the motorway. Mad

Thankfully, I was in a Volkswagen and was okay - just shaken up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: