Humiliated frat boys sue over 'Borat' portrayal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Humiliated frat boys sue over 'Borat' portrayal Reply with quote

SANTA MONICA, California (AP) -- Two fraternity boys want to make lawsuit against "Borat" over their drunken appearance in the hit movie.

The legal action filed Thursday on their behalf claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

"Borat" follows the adventures of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment." They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

"They were induced to agree to participate and were told the name of the fraternity and the name of their school wouldn't be used," said the plaintiffs' attorney, Olivier Taillieu. "They were put into an RV and were made to believe they were picking up Borat the hitchhiker."

After a bout of heavy drinking, the plaintiffs signed a release form they were told "had something to do with reliability issues with being in the RV," Taillieu said.

The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said.

It names 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp., and three production companies as defendants.

Studio spokesman Gregg Brilliant said the lawsuit "has no merit."

The plaintiffs were seeking an injunction to stop the studio from displaying their image and likeness, along with unspecified monetary damages.

"Borat" debuted as the top movie last weekend with $26.5 million.

I think they're just trying to make a fast buck and I'm sure they'll end up losing. If they were stupid enough to sign something without reading it then it's their own fault.

The bit that cracked me up is "The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said."

Give me a break!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Humiliated frat boys sue over 'Borat' portrayal Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
The bit that cracked me up is "The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said."

Give me a break!

haha yeah - they could change that lawsuit to "we're embarassed because we realised we're a pair of arseholes" and it would be a good bit closer to the truth.

I hope they waste thousands of their yankee dollars and get embarassed again and again - wowoweeewaaa!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just silly. They were dumb enough to sign the contract and agree and they also didn't have to drink. They're trying to make a fast buck and it makes me sick.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Humiliated frat boys sue over 'Borat' portrayal Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
they could change that lawsuit to "we're embarassed because we realised we're a pair of arseholes" and it would be a good bit closer to the truth.

Exactly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: