Katrina dog back home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Katrina dog back home Reply with quote

A dog which was parted from its owner during Hurricane Katrina has been returned to New Orleans after a custody fight that went to court.

Rocket, a chow-Finnish spitz mix, had been given up for adoption to a couple in Philadelphia, who renamed him Rusty.

His first owner sued the couple and the kennels that arranged the adoption, but she has now agreed to drop the lawsuit and the dog has been returned to her.

Similar custody disputes over pets have taken place in other states.

Original owner Sheila Combs agreed to drop her lawsuit against Lynne and Joseph Welsh and the kennels that handled the dog before the Welshes adopted him.

The Welshes took in the now two-year-old dog a year ago.

Ms Combs' lawsuit had alleged that Rocket was "wrongfully adopted" after the dog was sent to Pennsylvania following his rescue.

The suit had also claimed that the Welshes reneged on promises to return Rocket.

Similar animal custody battles have cropped up in states including Florida and Maryland over pets left behind during the storm on 29 August 2005

I've read some of the cases in magazines. A lot of the ones I have read the people left their dogs at kennels, planning on their return. But the kennels adopted them out instead of waiting or trying to contact.

I am sure there are some who just left their dogs too. Which I could never imagine. I would find a way to take my girls with me. Come hell...or high water.

It's a sad situation all around because I am sure it's not easy for either families involved.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Katrina dog back home Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
I am sure there are some who just left their dogs too. Which I could never imagine. I would find a way to take my girls with me. Come hell...or high water.

I feel the same way about my dog.... not that I expect anyone else to understand that feeling but, to be fair, I wasn't faced with this horrible situation.

It's a bad thing no matter how you look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: