UK offers billions to back Northern Ireland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: UK offers billions to back Northern Ireland Reply with quote

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain held out the prospect on Wednesday of at least 50 billion pounds in funding for Northern Ireland over the next decade if its leaders agree to revive self rule in the province.

Chancellor Gordon Brown and Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain briefed members of Northern Ireland political parties on the financial package in talks in London.

The package supports a plan put forward at talks in St. Andrews, Scotland last month for restoring a Northern Ireland assembly suspended since 2002.

The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), and Sinn Fein must accept or reject the governments' plan by November 10.

If they agree to the proposals, preparations will get under way for restoring local government. If they do not, London will shut the assembly and continue running the province from Westminster, but with greater input from Dublin.

The British government said it would commit to at least 35 billion pounds of funding for Northern Ireland over the next four years, equivalent to more than 50,000 pounds per household, a Treasury statement said.

Funding would rise from 8 billion pounds a year at present to 9.2 billion pounds in the 2010-2011 financial year.

The government said it would also commit to an 18 billion pound capital investment strategy to 2017 if a new Northern Ireland executive is installed.

The main sticking points in the St. Andrews talks were the DUP's refusal to govern with Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein's reluctance to endorse local police.

Both parties said a deal was possible but they needed to consult their members and study the proposals in detail before making a final decision.

Blair and his Irish counterpart Bertie Ahern have dedicated almost a decade to achieving a lasting settlement in Northern Ireland. It is Blair's last chance to secure a legacy as peace broker before he steps down next year.

I really hope this goes through, but the bumblef*ck Ian Paisley and his DUP will do pretty much anything to stop the process as they hate Sinn Fein and will never have trust in them. They still believe the IRA has arms hidden and are ready to attack the bloody fools lol

It's a nice bit of money the UK is offering to put back into a country they stole ignore
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: UK offers billions to back Northern Ireland Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
It's a nice bit of money the UK is offering to put back into a country they stole ignore

It is really nice of them eh?

I wonder how much money they've spent on war in Iraq and Afghanistan compared to peace in NI? Also, I'm sure there's gonna be loads of little Inglanders who are going to complain about the money being sent over, going on about the unfairness of it all.

When I worked in the oil industry, about 10 years ago, my boss told me that the only reason that Britain held on to NI was because there are large oil fields off the coast, which will be tapped once the North Sea fields die off... I'm not sure if that is true, but it would make sense at least.
fritz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one thing that I would personally accept and that would be all four provinces under one government THE IRISH GOVERNMENT .That Island should be a nation once again .Sorry but that?s my option like or not.My big mouth has probably get in trouble again. Crying
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
There is only one thing that I would personally accept and that would be all four provinces under one government THE IRISH GOVERNMENT .That Island should be a nation once again .Sorry but that?s my option like or not.My big mouth has probably get in trouble again. Crying

Fritz you're not in trouble and never could be for your opinion as it's greatly appreciated and valued Smile

If I had one wish, it'd be unity with Ireland. I know it won't happen in my lifetime because of Protestants desire to remain part of Great Britain, but one can dream and hope that one day they wake up and realise that we should all be together as it's meant to be. One island, one Ireland governed by Ireland alone.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Fritz...... have your say... its YOUR right!!! thumbs
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, Fritz. Why shouldn't it have it's own government? Heck, it was only 20 or so years ago that Canada was granted its own constitution from the Queen.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I see your point, Fritz. Why shouldn't it have it's own government? Heck, it was only 20 or so years ago that Canada was granted its own constitution from the Queen.

Ireland has its own government. We need our country united and 100% self governed without the stinking hands of GB.

Before that happens though, we have to ship out the treasonous murdering whores that want to hand our country over to the pimps. We can bundle them up like mummies, wrapped in their almighty and send them on their way wave
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

Ireland has its own government. We need our country united and 100% self governed without the stinking hands of GB.

Before that happens though, we have to ship out the treasonous murdering whores that want to hand our country over to the pimps. We can bundle them up like mummies, wrapped in their almighty and send them on their way wave

OK.... guess I couldn't find the words I was looking for when I wrote that last post..... I know they have their own government--- I was just meaning more "independent' such as not being tied in with Great Britain (jsut like Canada is now independent with it's constitution). It would be nice to see Ireland united though and I hope I see it in my lifetime.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

OK.... guess I couldn't find the words I was looking for when I wrote that last post..... I know they have their own government--- I was just meaning more "independent' such as not being tied in with Great Britain (jsut like Canada is now independent with it's constitution). It would be nice to see Ireland united though and I hope I see it in my lifetime.

Tiochfaidh Ar La! grrr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: