Bush's Billion Dollar Border Fence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Bush's Billion Dollar Border Fence Reply with quote

US President George W Bush has authorised 700 miles (1,125km) of new fencing along the US-Mexico border.

Supporters of the plan say it will be key to tackling illegal immigration, likely to be a key issue in next month's mid-term elections.

But Mexican officials have opposed the fence, with outgoing President Vicente Fox calling it "shameful" and likening it to the Berlin Wall.

About 10m Mexicans are thought to live in the US, some 4m of them illegally.

An estimated 1.2m illegal immigrants were arrested last year trying to cross into the US via the border states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

The BBC's Nick Miles in Washington says that, though few US congressmen have questioned the need for some action to reduce illegal migration, many have queried how effective the fence will be.

TJ Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, a union representing patrol agents, told Associated Press that it would not be enough on its own.

"A fence will slow people down by a minute or two, but if you don't have the agents to stop them it does no good. We're not talking about some impenetrable barrier," he said.

Mr Bush himself believes that tougher border security should be accompanied by moves to help legalise the status of the illegal migrants currently in the US.

But those moves are opposed by many within his own Republican party.

Mexico has promised to challenge the fence at the United Nations and on Wednesday presented a declaration against the policy to the UN's Human Rights Council, supported by 27 other Latin American and Caribbean nations.

Part of the funding for the fence is likely to come from the $1.2bn (?0.6bn) set aside for it in a recent homeland security bill, but the full cost may be greater and the source of the funding is still unclear, according to our correspondent.

What on earth are they thinking? They are throwing money away here! It's disgusting. This is in no way going to solve illegal immigrants coming through. It's only going to make it look like they're trying to do something about it! nevermind

After having to deal with my husband going through the immigration process I can tell you the biggest problems are internal. You call to ask a question and are told one thing. You call back the next day and ask the same question because you are still confused and explain the answer you were given and are told that law is no longer there but it's something else! Mad The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing!

One time when we were crossing through Border Patrol in El Paso my husband gave them his green card and they insisted he was registered as the wrong type of immigrant! We argued about it for about 10 minutes before they finally let us through. When I got home I looked it up and found out the Border Patrol Officer (who is supposed to be protecting us and know what to do) was absolutely clueless!

Billion dollar fence. How many schools could that money fund? slap
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who's getting the contract to build it?

It's bound to be one of Bush's mates.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I wonder who's getting the contract to build it?

It's bound to be one of Bush's mates.

Funny, I had that same thought.

I used to live in Texas right along the Mexican border and I can honestly tell you that a fence is only going to slow them down a bit...... I have seen Mexicans jump the border and be chased down by border patrol..... and if there were more people patrolling the border this might not happen........ they'll get over the fence if they want. Heck, I've seen them actually swim across the Rio Grande to deliver their babies in a US hospital so that they can give birth to an American Citizen. Life must be really terrible in Mexico to go through all of that .
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure a fence is going to be the answer either. The problem is that Bush will not put his foot down on immigration, and this is his way to try and appease Republicans with this issue. It's just a smoke screen. He needs to get tough on immigration laws and enforce the ones we have. The fence only slows people down. They climb over them and dig under them. This is one of the issues I feel strongly about that I feel Bush is lacking on throughout his whole term.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that word that Sky used in another post???

Oh, yes....I remember......

WANKER!! Mad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the profits from illegal immigration weren't massive then they'd have crushed it years ago.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its to keep the yanks in and not the mexicans out!!!! Laughing Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
What was that word that Sky used in another post???

Oh, yes....I remember......

WANKER!! Mad

Laughing
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I'm not so sure a fence is going to be the answer either. The problem is that Bush will not put his foot down on immigration, and this is his way to try and appease Republicans with this issue. It's just a smoke screen. He needs to get tough on immigration laws and enforce the ones we have. The fence only slows people down. They climb over them and dig under them. This is one of the issues I feel strongly about that I feel Bush is lacking on throughout his whole term.

I agree 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: