'Borat' prompts Kazakhstan to seek new image

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbo1960

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: 'Borat' prompts Kazakhstan to seek new image Reply with quote

The World Today - Tuesday, 26 September , 2006 12:50:00
Reporter: Barney Porter
PETER CAVE: The central Asian dictatorship of Kazakhstan has had enough of the man who has become its most famous citizen - the comic character Borat, product of British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

After threatening to sue Cohen for portraying their country as peopled by backward buffoons, the Kazakh Government has now decided to hit back with a movie about its glorious past, fighting off the Mongol invaders.

But it's unlikely to top Borat's own first feature film, as Barney Porter reports.

BORAT: Jak si? masz? (Polish for "How are you?") My name a Borat. I journalist for Kazakhstan. My government send me to US and A to make a movie film. Please, you look.

BARNEY PORTER: Borat Sagdiyev has been around for a while, first appearing on The Ali G Show.

And now he's the star of an American-made film by Sacha Baron Cohen called Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

It's receiving rave reviews at early screenings, and is set to premiere in Britain next month.

BORAT: Although Kazakstan is glorious country, it have problem too. This why Ministry of Information have decided to send me to US and A to learn a lessons for Kazakhstan.

I go to America!

(Sound of cheering)

BARNEY PORTER: But constantly irritated by the Borat character, the film has struck a raw nerve with Kazak authorities.

So much so, that the government is spending more than $50 million to create its own film featuring an 18th century Kazakh warrior named Mansur, who's on a mission of courage and romance to united the Kazakh tribes and free them from the invaders from Mongolia.

Senior Kazak diplomat, Roman Vassilenko, has defended his country in an interview with the BBC.

ROMAN VASSILENKO: I can tell that what Borat presents in his movie is not Kazakhstan. And it's... we can call is Borat-istan or something.

People in their sane minds would know that a real country cannot be like that.

REPORTER: So the people of Kazakhstan have got over Borat?

ROMAN VASSILENKO: We have mixed feelings.

BARNEY PORTER: Cohen has lapped up the attention, with the anti-Semitic Borat responding directly to the criticisms.

BORAT: Jak si? masz? In response to Mr Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr Cohen and fully support my government's decision to sue this Jew.

Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world. Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight-years-old.

BARNEY PORTER: Cohen arrived at the recent Toronto Film Festival in the role of Kazak's special correspondent-at-large, towed by women dressed as peasants.

While the film wasn't shown for "technical reasons", Borat was able to answer questions from the audience.

BORAT: Next question, please.

MODERATOR: The next question we have is, okay, it's been said that your country is oppressive. What do you say about that?

BORAT: Uh... yes.

(Sound of laughter)

Thank you very much.

BARNEY PORTER: Since its creation after the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991, the real Kazakhstan has been ruled by Nursultan Nazarbayev, who was re-elected last year with 91 per cent of the vote, despite criticisms by monitors from the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

President Nazarbayev's administration has also been criticised for human rights abuses.

And he sees no funny side to film about Borat, threatening to complain bitterly about the American made movie when he arrives in Washington for a state visit later this week.

But it's likely neither Cohen nor Borat will mind, going by the adage it's better to be talked about, rather than not be talked about.

And Borat is still keen to attract visitors to Kazakhstan in his own way.

BORAT: Please, captain of industry, I invite you to come to Kazakhstan where we have incredible natural resources, hard-working labour and some of the cleanest prostitutes in whole of central Asia.

BARNEY PORTER: He's also revealed he has personal reasons to encourage movie-goers.

BORAT: You come see my film. If it not success, I will be execute.

PETER CAVE: The ABC should hire that man. Sacha Baron Cohen, alias Borat, Kazakhstan's special correspondent-at-large, ending Barney Porter's report.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha good old Borat - he's creating a revolution!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed in the last couple days they've been airing ads on tv to promote Kazakhstan. At first I thought it was a joke but they're actually serious.

I found out they're being shown because the Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan was going to Washington, and he's aggrivated with Sacha Baron-Cohen's claims of representing the country.

The ad itself is worthy of humour. It's not your normal tourism ad where they show the best bits of the country, and if it is their best bits then they've not a snowballs chance in hell of getting anyone to go there. It looks hellish!
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they're not a very bonnie lot!!!!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
I bet they're not a very bonnie lot!!!!

Judging by their surroundings I'd have to agree. All they showed in the ad was a fountain, mountains and some mosque type building.

The attire looked quite stale dated as well, so shopping for clothing would be a difficult task.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of Mr. Cohen:

He is brilliant as the openly gay French race car driver, Jean, in the latest Will Ferrell movie, "Talledega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby." We pissed ourselves laughing during this movie...highly recommended if you liked "Old School." Laughing Laughing Laughing Dude is hands-down hilarious.

Just my 2p.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
I noticed in the last couple days they've been airing ads on tv to promote Kazakhstan. At first I thought it was a joke but they're actually serious.

I found out they're being shown because the Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan was going to Washington, and he's aggrivated with Sacha Baron-Cohen's claims of representing the country.

The ad itself is worthy of humour. It's not your normal tourism ad where they show the best bits of the country, and if it is their best bits then they've not a snowballs chance in hell of getting anyone to go there. It looks hellish!

One of the newschannels on tv this morning said they had spent over $800 000 in advertising...... that's a lot when you think of that country and it's revenues, etc. Can't say I'd want to go there.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

One of the newschannels on tv this morning said they had spent over $800 000 in advertising...... that's a lot when you think of that country and it's revenues, etc. Can't say I'd want to go there.

I've only seen the one ad playing over and over again, and judging by the quality of the filming, I'd say they got ripped off. bigtime Shocked
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking about for the advert online, but had no luck - if anyone sees it please post a link
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this should probably go in the video section but it just fits

He's brilliant Laughing
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe....that's superb....wonder what the movie would be like Very Happy
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
hehe....that's superb....wonder what the movie would be like Very Happy

I'm sure it's going to be hysterical. I can't wait to see it. I always loved watching Ali G and I'm sure this will be even better thumbs
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THAT why I've been seeing ads for Kazahkstan ...

I prefer his role in Madagascar ... The lemur King Julian ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: