Earth may be at warmest point in 1 million years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Earth may be at warmest point in 1 million years Reply with quote

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Earth may be close to the warmest it has been in the last million years, especially in the part of the Pacific Ocean where potentially violent El Nino weather patterns are born, climate scientists reported on Monday.

This doesn't necessarily mean there will be more frequent El Ninos -- which can disrupt normal weather around the world -- but could well mean that these wild patterns will be stronger when they occur, said James Hansen of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City.

The El Nino phenomenon is an important factor in monitoring global warming, according to a paper by Hansen and colleagues published in the current Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

El Ninos can push temperatures higher than they might ordinarily be. This happened in 1998 when a so-called "super El Nino" helped heat the Earth to a record high.

What is significant, the scientists wrote, is that 2005 was in the same temperature range as 1998, and probably was the warmest year ever, with no sign of the warm surface water in the eastern equatorial Pacific typical of an El Nino.

The waters of the western equatorial Pacific are warmer than in the eastern equatorial Pacific, and the difference in temperature between these two areas could produce greater temperature swings between the normal weather pattern and El Nino, they wrote.

They blamed this phenomenon on global warming that is affecting the surface of the western Pacific before it affects the deeper water.
EL Nino and global warming

Overall, Earth is within 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) of its highest temperature levels in the past million years, Hansen and the others wrote. They noted a recent steep rise in average temperatures, with global surface temperatures increasing about 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.2 degrees Celsius) for each of the last three decades.

Scientists attribute this rise to human activities, notably the release into the atmosphere of greenhouse gases -- notably carbon dioxide -- which let in sunlight and trap its heat like the glass walls of a greenhouse.

Human-caused global warming influences El Ninos much as it sways tropical storms, the scientists wrote.

"The effect on frequency of either phenomenon is unclear, depending on many factors, but the intensity of the most powerful events is likely to increase as greenhouse gases increase," they wrote. "Slowing the growth rate of greenhouse gases should diminish the probability of both super El Ninos and the most intense tropical storms."

Weak El Nino conditions were present this month in the tropical Pacific, and could strengthen to a moderate event by winter, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which monitors the phenomenon.

In the United States, private forecaster WSI Corp. predicted warmer-than-normal weather over the Northeast and Midwest for the rest of this year, spelling sluggish energy demand for the start of the heating season.

The warm outlook, after the mildest winter on record last year, is due to uncertainty over the El Nino -- a warming of Pacific waters around the equator that can drive weather patterns around the globe, WSI Corp. said.

Not enough people are paying attention to this, and it's high time it's taken seriously.

I'm sure everyone has noticed weather changes in their part of the world, and future generations are going to be screwed it if keeps getting worse.

With the sea being warmer in spots where it normally isn't, marine life has to be suffering as well, and unfortunately that's not something that can be sorted once the damage is done Sad
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember back a bit when everyone was saying it was all from the aerosol can's that people used? Sure it contributed but it's been proven that farting cows produce more methane gas that widens the hole in the ozone layer than the aerosol. Since then, so many other things are contributing, it makes me wonder whether or not we can ever slow it down. I doubt it.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way the temps are still going down here I wouldn't be surprised if it happened next week!
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the winters aren't what they used to be.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Remember back a bit when everyone was saying it was all from the aerosol can's that people used? Sure it contributed but it's been proven that farting cows produce more methane gas that widens the hole in the ozone layer than the aerosol. Since then, so many other things are contributing, it makes me wonder whether or not we can ever slow it down. I doubt it.

But the reason there's so many cows is because of mass marketing of beef products by scumbag corporations like McDonald's.

The best way to sort this is by planting trees which can absorb so much of the CO2 - and lowerng the amount of methane by getting rid of most of these cows through adopting a more sensible diet. Of course, self interested people will just think that "my efforts won't make a difference, so why should I give a fuck", but every journey needs to start with a single step and it takes for them as individuals to get a head on them and start working towards a better future.

I don't have kids and yet I can't smoke in a restaurant because I might give other peoples 'kids second-hand smoke, yet they will drive there in a 4x4 which belches shit out the exhaust all the way there and back - people are stupid and blind not to see this as a problem and they're putting my health at risk while they sit in a manufactured cocoon of "safety".

Maybe it's time for an environmentally aware new world worder where those who think their shit doesn't stink get shot or something... that would amuse me... first up against the wall - 4x4 drivers and their families who drive into McDonald's!
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

But the reason there's so many cows is because of mass marketing of beef products by scumbag corporations like McDonald's.

The best way to sort this is by planting trees which can absorb so much of the CO2 - and lowerng the amount of methane by getting rid of most of these cows through adopting a more sensible diet. Of course, self interested people will just think that "my efforts won't make a difference, so why should I give a fuck", but every journey needs to start with a single step and it takes for them as individuals to get a head on them and start working towards a better future.

I don't have kids and yet I can't smoke in a restaurant because I might give other peoples 'kids second-hand smoke, yet they will drive there in a 4x4 which belches shit out the exhaust all the way there and back - people are stupid and blind not to see this as a problem and they're putting my health at risk while they sit in a manufactured cocoon of "safety".

Maybe it's time for an environmentally aware new world worder where those who think their shit doesn't stink get shot or something... that would amuse me... first up against the wall - 4x4 drivers and their families who drive into McDonald's!

OK - I'm doing my bit. I planted 10 trees in my garden last year, and aim to plant another 10 this autumn. I don't smoke, and drive a small car as little as possible. I've also just joined the National Resources Defence Council, to get the Bush Administration to change their environmental policies. Oh, and I really dislike McD's

Phew!! Am I enough of a do-gooder yet?? Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a case of being a do-gooder - it's a case of not being an irresponsible arse!
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
It's not a case of being a do-gooder - it's a case of not being an irresponsible arse!

Wow, you're really fired up on this. But yep, you're right...people should take a lot more responsibility for their everyday actions and choices, and be aware of the effects they have on the planet.

One of my bug bears.... The corporate polluters! Mad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
faceless wrote:

Wow, you're really fired up on this. But yep, you're right...people should take a lot more responsibility for their everyday actions and choices, and be aware of the effects they have on the planet.

One of my bug bears.... The corporate polluters! Mad

Well, it's the most important thing on the planet right now - wars come and go, but if the planet is uninhabitable then the whole of civilisation is fecked!

There's no doubt the corporate polluters are the worst, but the fact that they are driven by the markets, and the markets are driven by the consumers is the important bit really...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: