Writing the Wave?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Writing the Wave? Reply with quote

Researchers at the Akishima Laboratories in Japan developed a device that uses waves to write on water:

Quote:
The device, called AMOEBA (Advanced Multiple Organized Experimental Basin), consists of 50 water wave generators encircling a cylindrical tank 1.6 meters in diameter and 30 cm deep (about the size of a backyard kiddie pool). The wave generators move up and down in controlled motions to simultaneously produce a number of cylindrical waves that act as pixels. The pixels, which measure 10 cm in diameter and 4 cm in height, are combined to form lines and shapes. AMOEBA is capable of spelling out the entire roman alphabet, as well as some simple kanji characters. Each letter or picture remains on the water surface only for a moment, but they can be produced in succession on the surface every 3 seconds.

Source: http://www.business-i.jp/news/sou-page/new...0607240021a.nwc

---------------

I thought this was quite smart, though I can't think of a single practical application for it!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever.

Someone in the advertising industry will probably come up with a use for it, though the way TV companies are able to overlay computer graphics on top of live images may make the whole idea redundant.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart indeed! Although, I think you're right, Face--- no real practical application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: