Contestants try to avoid 'reversal of fortune' at U.S. fair'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ap1979

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Contestants try to avoid 'reversal of fortune' at U.S. fair' Reply with quote

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) - Robert Breinig was ready to cram down the hot dogs. He had kept his stomach empty for nearly two days in preparation for the hot-dog-eating contest at the Kansas State Fair.

But it took just nine franks until Breinig suffered what veterans of the competitive eating circuit call a "reversal of fortune" Monday afternoon. And when his team of five National Guardsmen finally won Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest - chomping down some 46 dogs with buns - Breinig was a little too nauseous to take part in the celebration.

It would probably be "a long, long, long time" until he feasted on dogs again, the queasy contestant said.

Teams of sheriff's officers, media personalities, firefighters and grocery clerks competed in this year's contest, which drew 28 competitors Monday afternoon.

Some were looking for entertainment. Others wanted a free lunch.

But no one actually believed they could beat the world's best competitive eater, Takeru Kobayashi, who on July 4, 2004, ate 53 1/2 hot dogs and buns in just 12 minutes - one frank every 13.45 seconds.

Kansas's best, Hutchinson radio personality Lucky Kidd, won individual eating honours when he wolfed down 13 hot dogs.

To win the state's title, eaters had just 12 minutes to eat as many hot dogs as they could. They could use any strategy to get them down, but if the dogs came back up before 12 minutes, the contestant was disqualified.

All 28 competitors met those standards, but Breinig was not the only one who fell prey to a digestive disorder once the contest was over.

For spectator Pat Goatley, that was part of the fun.

"I just like watching people make fools of themselves while eating," said Goatley, one of hundreds of fans cheering on the fair's contestants.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I could be a champion Kettle Chip muncher... they might cause bleeding gums and breath that could strip paint, but I'd be champion!

Cool
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I reckon I could be a champion Kettle Chip muncher... they might cause bleeding gums and breath that could strip paint, but I'd be champion!

Cool

The price of being a champion I guess. clap
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
bleeding gums and breath that could strip paint, but I'd be champion!

Cool

After reading that bit it was hard getting that sip of tea down. We need a puke smilie! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: