Burning Zozobra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Burning Zozobra Reply with quote

Just after dusk Thursday evening, the woes and worries of the past year went up in a spectacular display of fire and pyrotechnics as the torch was set to Zozobra.

The 82st burning of Zozobra, or Old Man Gloom, happened at Fort Marcy Park in Santa Fe at about 9:00 pm. The annual event opened the Fiesta de Santa Fe, the City Different?s annual equivalent of a harvest festival.

Zozobra, a 40-foot, 1,600 pound mechanized marionette, symbolized all the troubles of the past year that people wanted to be rid of. Following an evening of entertainment, the crowd of thousands at the park erupted into a chant of, ?burn him, burn him, burn him,? until a dancer with a torch set flame to the puppet.

As the flames rose around him, Zozobra twisted and roared and the crowd cheered until there was nothing left but flames and fireworks erupting from the effigy.
______

I've never been able to attend the burning of Zozobra. But I've seen it on tv and met others who have. It sounds like a lot of fun. I need to try and get there one year. And from what I can tell no police officers have ever been harmed in the burnings Cool

http://www.zozobra.com/ This is the official site and it's got some pretty interesting stuff
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story !!!
I think I need my very own "Zozobra" to burn....
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks totally cool. I'd love to see that as it looks to be quite spectacular.

Thanks for sharing Skylace, and if you ever do make it, try and get it on film for us.

I wonder if that would be on youtube anywhere hmmm I must have a look Confused

**Update** There's a few films of it here
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: