Pluto's no longer a planet!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Pluto's no longer a planet! Reply with quote

Pluto loses status as a planet

Astronomers meeting in the Czech capital have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet. About 2,500 experts were in Prague for the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) general assembly. The scientists rejected a proposal that would have retained Pluto as a planet and brought three other objects into the cosmic club.

Pluto has been considered a planet since its discovery in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh. The ninth planet will now effectively be airbrushed out of school and university textbooks.

"The eight planets are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune," said the IAU resolution, which was passed following a week of stormy debate.

--------------

I read somewhere that most of the people campaigning for this rock to retain its "planet" status were americans - based on the fact that it was the only one of the original 9 that an american had discovered... haha

One other thing I saw was about how astrologers are now going to have to adjust their charts - but as far as I'm aware they rarely included Pluto in them anyway.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this too a while back that they were planning on doing this. They claim it's going to bugger up what's taught in science to children, and a lot of text will have to be changed.

I don't see what all the hoopla's about, but does this mean they have to change Pluto's name?
Razz
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been up with this in the news. I'm not surprised by the results at all. I guess kids school projects of building a model of the solar system just got a wee bit easier.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one less thing to remember...least it weren't anything funny like uranus Very Happy
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember what Robing Williams once said...
"Never go to Pluto... it's a Mickey Mouse planet." Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: