Too many Kangaroos???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Too many Kangaroos??? Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/23/kangaroo.contraceptive.ap/index.html

Kangaroo Pill to thin numbers

Wednesday, August 23, 2006; Posted: 9:50 a.m. EDT (13:50 GMT)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- Scientists are hoping to develop an oral contraceptive for female kangaroos that will keep pouches empty as they hop around the national capital's grassy fringes.

Government ecologist Don Fletcher said Wednesday the oral contraceptive method promised to be more efficient than existing technology for curbing roo numbers around Canberra such as vasectomies for males and injections for females because the fleet-footed marsupials would not need to be captured.

"Realistically, to deal with wild animals it has to be oral," said Fletcher, who is collaborating with Newcastle University scientists on the research.

"One of the challenges is finding kangaroo ice-cream," he said, referring to a food pellet that grass-munching roos will find irresistible.

Field tests of the contraceptive could be under way in two-to-five years, he said.

Kangaroos are an ever-present road hazard in Canberra, particularly in dry months when thousands bounce in from the surrounding countryside to feed on watered lawns and golf courses.

The Australian Capital Territory government, which administers Canberra and is funding the research, is reluctant to use shooters to thin the kangaroo population because of the risk posed to humans in built-up areas and the cruelty objections raised by animal welfare groups.

ACT Animal Liberation, a local animal rights group that has been a vocal opponent of kangaroo culls, has applauded the new research.

It must be something when all the Kanagroos are hopping through town.... I think I've personally only ever seen one at a zoo.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here ya, and they sure are cute, but if you try and tangle with one you're in for some shite. They could kick you into the next province.

Check out the mean bugger below lol

Kangaroo like this one accused of aggravated battery

"He had so much hate in his eyes."

That's what 48-year-old Sylvia Aldren said after being pummeled and flayed by a kangaroo in the Australian state of Queensland.

"I can still see his big, beady eyes, like you see in a Martian video," she told the Brisbane Courier-Mail.

Aldren, from the town of Burpengary, suffered a large puncture wound on her neck as well as claw marks all over her body from today's frenzied attack.

"My nightie was covered in blood and there are paw marks on the back of it," she told the paper. "I thought I was going to die."

She says was picking flowers in her garden before hearing a noise and suddenly feeling claws tearing into the back of her neck.

"I fell down on my front, it happened so quick, and I got up to hold the bucket out in front of me," she said.

Sylvia Aldren displays her kangaroo wounds

"It kicked the bucket out of my hand and I grabbed [his paw] to stop him, but he got on his tail and started kicking me ? he was taller than me on his hind legs. I tried to get up four or five times but he kept kicking me over. He also bit my hand."

Family and friends reportedly watched in horror as the kangaroo repeatedly pelted Aldren in the back as she tried to escape.

The animal finally jumped away when neighbors got close.

"I always thought they were cute animals, [but] now I want them culled," Aldren said, according to the report.

Ironically, she works for attorneys who specialize in personal-injury cases.

"But what am I going to do?" Aldren asks. "Sue a kangaroo?"

I'd let him eat all the grass he wanted with that look on his face Shocked

It's easy to understand why they'd want to give them contraceptives if there's that many. I'm sure they're quite a danger to humans if they're actually going into towns where there's a good population of people. I'd personally be shitting myself. I'm really glad to read they're reluctant to shoot them because it's not their fault.
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that would scare the piss out of you !!!
janbo1960

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many Politicians in Canberra.........
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
There are too many Politicians in Canberra.........

Now that's a classic janbo response clap Gotta love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: