What is a PNG file and why use them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: What is a PNG file and why use them? Reply with quote

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/1.2/png-1.2.pdf

That's what a PNG file is. The reason you should use them is because they are lossless. If you upload pics to facebook, youtube, twitter (or any other platform like it), they will usually make a jpg from your pic before it shows to others, which always lowers the quality. So, starting with the highest quality in the first place guarantees a better result for the viewer.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they're massively smaller than raw or TIF.

Though Adobe had for the longest time a bug that wouldn't see the transparent layer properly. Anyone know if that got fixed in the latest version?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Paintshop to make transparencies (it's quicker for me) and then import them into Paintshop and they're fine
luke

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photoshop cs5 can save transparent png's fine, although i've never tried opening one with it. i save everything as psd and export what i need to use

png's are great for pictures with text on. i remember uploading a logo to facebook and the jpg compression made it terrible, but the png version was fine
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
photoshop cs5 can save transparent png's fine, although i've never tried opening one with it. i save everything as psd and export what i need to use

Doesn't save opacity info properly, so it's still borked. There's ways around it, but not by default, so a little bit of a chore if you're creating opacity maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: