George Galloway - "window licker" tweet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: George Galloway - "window licker" tweet Reply with quote

George Galloway criticised for 'window licker' tweet
Respect MP causes further controversy over use of derogatory term for disabled person following recent comments about rape
Damien Pearse and James Meikle
guardian.co.uk,
27 August 2012

After being widely condemned for his remarks about the rape charges facing Julian Assange, George Galloway was under fire again at the weekend after calling someone a "window-licker" (a derogatory term for a disabled person) in a conversation on Twitter. Galloway made the comment during a conversation on Sunday. He tweeted to @Hawfa: "you badly need medical help son. Will decent Rangers fans please substitute this windae-licker … "

The tweet was attacked as insensitive by fellow Twitter users and @Skipjack451 wrote: "I wonder what the disabled members of your constituency will make of your use of the slur 'window licker'? You're a disaster." Paul Carter (@Juniorc0) wrote: "@georgegalloway just called someone a window licker. Beyond contempt." In 2003, the term was voted third most offensive that could be used relating to disability in a poll run for the BBC's Ouch! disability talk show.

Dan Scorer, senior campaigns and policy manager at the learning disability charity Mencap said: "We are appalled that George Galloway, a member of parliament, has used this unacceptable term of abuse, which is deeply offensive to disabled people. Hate crime and bullying are a daily reality for many disabled people and the use of language like this only furthers hostility and violence. We call on him to apologise immediately."

Galloway is in Indonesia and could not be immediately contacted.

-----------------------

What the blithering fuck? GG is really getting caught up in the whole live-media pish lately.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he could try and say he was on about the aphex twin track window licker but i doubt thats going to work!

i didn't know it was a derogatory term for a disabled person, i'd heard it before years ago, but never knew what it meant
MegaChairmanMao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow news day?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, who wants to know if a politician uses such language?

"In 2003, the term was voted third most offensive that could be used relating to disability in a poll run for the BBC's Ouch! disability talk show. "
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard that term before. How does being a window licker relate to being disabled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I've never heard that term before. How does being a window licker relate to being disabled?

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/window-licker
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=window%20licker
gordonrussell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MegaChairmanMao wrote:
Slow news day?

Possibly Chairman, or the ongoing, inexorable, insidious m ed i a ? ? ? character assassination .

stamp him out!!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG - Apology For Tweet

I'm glad he's done this and that he recognises how stupid it was to get drawn in.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 1st I've heard the term "window-licker" referring to the disabled. The obvious connection is to the French term for "window shopping" which directly translates as "licking windows" (lecher les fenętres).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: