What is the most stolen food item?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: What is the most stolen food item? Reply with quote

What is the most stolen food item?

Hidden: 
Cheese Is Most Stolen Food Item, Says Report

Cheese has been labelled a "high-risk food" because it is the most stolen food item across the globe, according to a report.

Shoplifting and organised retail crime cost the UK high street an estimated £4.9m during the past 12 months, according to the Centre for Retail Research.

Theft is a growing concern for shop owners and the amount of stolen retail goods increased by 6.2% in the year to July.

Food products are amongst the most targeted products, with cheese topping the list.

The dairy item's loss percentage (3.9%) is more than three times the global average (1.29%).

Neil Matthews, vice-president of Checkpoint Systems, a retail security firm, said: "Compared to the 2010 figures, loss among the high-risk food lines has shot up by more than the global average, evidence that they are increasingly being targeted by shoplifters."

Some 1.86% of clothing sales were lost last year, while mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow increased to 2.37%.

Thieves tended to opt for branded products - shoplifters stole an average of £79 worth of goods each time, according to the Global Retail Theft Barometer 2011.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Cheese-Is-Most-Stolen-Food-skynews-3396833770.html?x=0

cheese!?
i'd never have guessed that
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: What is the most stolen food item? Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Neil Matthews, vice-president of Checkpoint Systems, a retail security firm, said: "Compared to the 2010 figures, loss among the high-risk food lines has shot up by more than the global average, evidence that they are increasingly being targeted by shoplifters."

Not a very logical conclusion. It's not thieves shifting their love of fancy dress labels to food. It's increasingly hungry and desperate people being forced to break the law to eat. I guess soup kitchens and food aid cant feed everyone.

Pretty soon stores are going to protect these food items behind locks like they do with razor blades. Speaking of the latter, I don't know what prices are like in the U.K., but here 3-5 blade razors have inched up from $1-2 each to almost $5.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah razor blades are mad expensive, and have been for ages. i think they're like £6 up for 4

i think they were one of the most stolen items from supermarkets
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cheese! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason cheese is swiped is because it's quite expensive for the size it takes (good quality mature cheddar goes for £2 per 200g in the shops) and will also last a while.

Bacon's probably up there in the ranks too!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I like cheese!

i like cheese as well, but i just wouldn't have thought of cheese as the most stolen food. i was thinking if i was skint and had to rob some food, i don't think cheese would be at the top of my list. but maybe its a good idea, cheese sandwiches, cheese on toast, jacket potato with cheese etc - life is just better with cheese Smile

i even like those skanky plasticy cheese like substance slices - but only on burgers
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to steal, I'd think it'd be stuff like steaks, and taters, cuz I really love taters and ya can do lots with them. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, that if I was in need of free food, cheese would defo be on the list, but steaks and taters would be too. And I would certainly be hitting the chocolate aisle!!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirty the potato pilferer! Shocked

sounds like you might need a trolley spurs!

Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the smoked salmon and or pate ..its so pricy here ....pate prolly never made the list cos most yanks do not know what it is ...lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: