corrie - three characters axed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: corrie - three characters axed Reply with quote

Three more axed from Coronation Street
06/05/2009

Three more Coronation Street characters are to leave the show in the coming weeks, it has been reported. Norris Cole's love interest Mary Taylor, downtrodden Paula Carp and barmaid Poppy Morales will apparently leave the ITV1 soap within weeks because bosses say the characters have made little impact. All three have only been with the show for around six months.

A source told The Sun: "It's a real shame they're leaving but their characters haven't made a huge impact and we haven't got any more big storylines for them. We just can't afford to keep them on. We can't be sentimental and we felt their characters had run their course.

Paula - played by Sharon Duce - was brought in for a shock storyline when she revealed that she slept with the dad of her pal Eileen Grimshaw and that he fathered her daughter Julie. But while Corrie bosses have apparently told Sharon that her contract will not be renewed, there's a chance that the character of Paula could return in the future. Mary (Patti Clare) has failed to win over viewers with her slow-burning affair with Norris (Malcolm Hebden), and Poppy (Sophiya Haque) has not been able to liven up the Rovers Return.

The trio - who will leave in separate storylines - follow Ayesha Dharker (who plays Tara Mandal), Philip McGinley (Tom Kerrigan) and Edward de Souza (Colin Grimshaw), who were all axed from the soap last month.

------------------

I didn't realise Tara was getting the heave-ho too, but I thought having Mary about was quite a good idea. Poppy who though...
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh...just when things were hotting up with Tom. I really think the writers could have developed a good storyline where he finds out that Tony DID arrange to kill Liam. Then, Tom could get cozy with Maria. I think they'd make a great couple who have differing ideas on how to run Lad Rags.

I also think the writers haven't given the Poppy character any good storylines. She's had nothing to work with.

I'll be sad to see Tara go...I like the interplay between her & Dev and also between her & Amber. I haven't got to grips with Colin though - don't think he's right for Rita.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Tom, I thought he was a keeper. He was boring at first, but once he shaved his face clean(some who know me know I hate beards, though some moustaches I can tolerate), he had a cute face under there. I thought they could have done more with Tom. I didn't know Tara was leaving too. I think the writers turned her character into a more naive person that she started as. I also don't think Tara would have done the whole plotting against Dev thing. If anything, I think the writers are responsible for those two having to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: