Heartbreak Hockey 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Dear God, Kez, what did your Caps supporters do to Torts? I have never seen him mad enough to throw a water bottle much less threaten to go after a fan with a stick!! And I have seen him pretty mad...we were pretty crap when he got to Tampa and pretty crap when he left...only the bits in the middle were good!! They have suspended him. Coaches are so rarely suspended and to be suspended during the playoffs...well he must have really been pissed. They said someone threw a beer on him, but none of the vid caught that part. I guess it happened during a commercial break, so the tv cameras were not on. It's too bad becuase he will take the entire blame if NYR lose the series, no matter how badly the team plays. For your sake, I hope they don't use it as a rallying cry...that kind of anger could really pull a team together to do amazing things! We shall see, I guess...

Wow, that was something, wasn't it? I was watching the game from home, so I had no idea what (really) happened until the next day. Apparently the coach grew tired of the constant taunting and threw a water bottle over the glass, only to have it hit an innocent bystander (a woman) who had nothing to do with the name-calling. That's the crux of the why reason he was suspended - might have had a different outcome if the water hit its intended target, but who knows?

Of all of the major sporting events, isn't hockey first when it comes to the proximity of the fans to the coaches & players?

Anyway, I personally thought the entire episode was totally uncalled for - that kind of aggression is rare at the Verizon Center. It's normally a very laid-back venue, compared with other hockey arenas.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Chicago and Detroit have hated each other forever and with Chicago being so bad the last several seasons (no playoffs for 13 years I think it is), Detroit has always gotten the better of them -- only to lose to the Sharks in the first round!! Laughing It is getting interesting!

Now that we're onto the semi-finals: I'm still in shock at the Capitals comeback! Dang, that was amazing!

Now there is the Capitals v. Pittsburgh Penguins series, which, as faceless so aptly described, will be true "edge of seat" stuff. I was really, really, really hoping the New Jersey Devils would have made it instead, because the Caps seem to have this "extreme chokability" when it comes to playing the Penguins: especially when I'm there! Embarassed

Further proof: the first and only time the Capitals made it to the Stanley Cup Final (1998, although they lost to Detroit) - I was living in Sydney, Australia!

Seriously, the Capitals only lost to Pitt ONCE during the regular 2008 - 2009 season and, surprise - surprise, it was the game I attended. So all of the Pitt fans I know are ecstatic that I'm going to both Game 1 on Saturday and Game 2 on Monday.

So, the further away I am....the better! LOL
But I say it's time to end my "Pitt Jinx": Go Caps!! Cool

PS - Did you see any of the Chicago v. Vancouver game tonight? That's going to be a good series as well. One of my hockey-playing relative is a huge Kane fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing what that's all about.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the game last night. It was 2-1 Vancouver until minute or so and the Hawks tied it up! I was shouting. Right at the beginning of the first OT, Hawks scored to take the game away. The series is now 2-2 and things are heating up. I LOVE HOCKEY!!

I have the same effect on individual players, Kez. As soon as I start liking a player, they get traded, break a leg or simply strt playing like shite. I am not allowed to put ANY Spurs players name on any of my Spurs jerseys...I am the sports kiss of death!! Laughing
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Spurs!

Well, I'm happy to report that my Penguins jinx ended last weekend. I attended both Game 1 on Saturday (2nd May) and Game 2 on Monday (4th May) and witnessed the Capitals victories. It was awesome!

However, it's back to heartbreak hockey for me.....the Penguins won tonight in overtime and are now ahead in the series 3-2.

So, if the unthinkable happens, I'll be behind Boston the entire way....

No matter the outcome, it's a great series and I will also proclaim: I LOVE HOCKEY!!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that I can not back Boston, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My Hawkies are still ok..they are leading the series right now and I hope that they can continue. Vancouver is putting up a much bigger fight that I thought that they would, but I am confident. GO HAWKS!!

I am glad your jinx - ability has ended, Kez. Can you send some of that my way?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearing up for game 6...GO HAWKS!!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipped on what I thought would be the Chicago/Vancouver game and it is the first OT for the Caps and Pens. Currently 4-4 in the first min of the first OT. I will have to look on NHL. com to see what Chicago is doing.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAWKS WIN, HAWKS WIN, HAWKS WIN!!! On to the next round!
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Spurs on the Hawks win! And my nephew's fave player, #88 Kane, scored a hat trick. Good stuff.

And, unbelievably, the Caps won in overtime, 5-4. In my opinion, the Capitals not only beat the Penguins tonight, they also beat the Referees. The officiating is so freaking biased towards Crysby and the Penguins it's disgusting.

Now send some of that winning mojo to DC for Game 7 v the Penguins!! "You can't spell 'Crosby' without 'C-R-Y'! Crying

Puck Fittsburgh - LET'S GO CAPS!!!

(with apologies to Skylace for the detrimental Pitt comments - you know that, here on the Couch, it's all about the love!) agree
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Chicago hat trick in the playoffs in decades. Awesome. Now we have some time to rest just a little before the next round. I'm thinking my prediction/wish is going to come true and it is going to be Chicago and Detroit in the Western finals. That is going to be stressful! Detroit is a powerhouse...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kezza wrote:

Laughing it sounds like a name from Charles Dicken's book
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Kezza wrote:

Laughing it sounds like a name from Charles Dicken's book

Never thought of that, but you're right: it is very Dickensian.

It's actually a logo on a t-shirt: Puck Fittsburgh T-Shirt

@Spurs: I'll definitely be supporting Chicago during their next series. At this point however, the Ducks are not letting the Red Wings walk away with their series at all. You'll know your opponent by Thursday evening. Detroit has won the Cup enough already (and yes, in 1998 it was courtesy of my Washington Capitals). So, how do you feel about a Chicago/Anaheim matchup?

As for tomorrow's Game 7 in DC: may the best team win, & I hope it's the Capitals. I'll be watching from home, wearing my "Rock the Red" t-shirt and my lucky red socks. Laughing The nerves will probably kick in to high gear tomorrow afternoon. I know it's just a game, but, it's so exciting.

P.S. We live very close to the Capitals practice facility & my little sis thinks she may have found a certain star player's house -- will keep you posted!! shhh
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohhh, I love dirt on players!

I would be ok with a Ducks/Hawks match up because I think they may be a little easier to play than Detroit. Detroit and Chicago have such a rivalry that it would be exciting, but it also adds an element of "oh crap, anything could happen". My first choice is Detroit, but Anaheim is ok too.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I guess neither one of us are going to support Boston, Kez. They actually lost to Carolina!! Plus, I got my Hawks/Wings series, so here we go! I can't wait. The entire TV schedule is on nhl.com. Yippee!
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaarrggh, just coming out of my funk. Don't know if anyone saw the final Caps/Penguins game, but it was a trainwreck. I thought we were getting punked. Oh well.

Now I'm all about Carolina beating Pittsburgh -- go Hurricanes!

Thus far neither Carolina nor Chicago is off to a good start, but it's only game 1.

We shall see....

So, anyone here like baseball? Razz How about those Mets, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: