Heartbreak Hockey 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Heartbreak Hockey 2009 Reply with quote

Now is the time of year for the (North American) National Hockey League playoffs. Are there any other Couchers out there who watch hockey?

Personally, I'm not finding it that enjoyable since my team (The Washington Capitals) are down 1 game to 3 in their playoff series against the New York Rangers. I went to the game last Saturday and sat dumbfounded as the Caps, although they had 35 shots on goal, lost the game 1-0.

I passed on going to tomorrow night's game because it's so freaking stressful and it's not fun -- especially if the Rangers win: then that's 4 wins which is the best out of 7 possible games & the Caps are out of contention. It's not looking good.....

I know it's only a game & that there are much bigger problems in the world, but the Caps have been my favourite diversion over the past 6 months and now they're breaking my heart. Crying

At least my nephew's hockey team won their state title and went on to win the Atlantic Youth Hockey League Tournament in their division! dancer

P.S. And if there are any Rangers fans out there, why is Sean Avery such a f****ing prick? Razz
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big time New York Rangers fan and I used to love going to the Madison Square Garden to go watch the games. Now that I'm in Florida, I can't see them unless they play the Tampa Bay Lightning. Regarding Sean Avery......pricks come and go, he'll be shuffled outta there to another team as they all end up doing. Nobody stays on teams for very long anymore....not like the old days. Anyway, sure would love to see the Rangers get another cup, but that's doubtful, they have no luck or in some cases, never have enough talent on the team. :-(
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok both you Moaning Myrtles...at least your teams made it to the play offs! The Lightning were 2nd only to the Islanders as worst team in the league! We won the cup in 2004 (with John Tortorella, Pirty, so if he can win us a cup, he can get you one!) and have done absolutely nada since then. I decided to support the Blackhawks for the playoffs, since I am originally from Chicago and they have allowed Calgary to tie up the series 2-2, so I am on the edge of my seat right now.

I don't think the league should do anything about Sean Avery, but I can't believe that the players haven't taken him out yet. You are right, Pirty, certainly not like the old days.

I am happy to see the Pens doing well, I hate Philthydumpia. I can't follow the West Coast games as well as I do the East because they start so late. I would really like to see the finals be Chicago and Boston...with Chicago winning of course!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all sounds good edge-of the-seat stuff, but what's this Avery guy done?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, what hasn't he done? He is a menace on the ice, he is insulting in interviews, he is a dirty player and just generally not liked by the entire league. Am I missing anything, Ladies of the NHL?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right Spurs, oh, and he's arrogant as well, but that goes with being dirty and insulting....lol!!! Actually, come to think about it, he would have fit in perfectly with the Philadelphia Flyers of the 1980's!! lol!! lol!! Now that was a dirty team altogether in the day!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to do the trick! haha

A lot of the punching seemed to be pretty theatrical though
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
That sounds about right Spurs, oh, and he's arrogant as well, but that goes with being dirty and insulting....lol!!! Actually, come to think about it, he would have fit in perfectly with the Philadelphia Flyers of the 1980's!! lol!! lol!! Now that was a dirty team altogether in the day!

Amen, Pirty! The Broadstreet Bullies of the 70's just turned into yuck in the 80's..
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, Face! I loved the shot of Avery and Bertuzzi together. What a pair of losers. I don't know if it is theatrical, Face, like diving in football or if it looks that way because they are on skates and it makes everything look exagerated. This clip also makes him look like a goal scorer....I don't know so much about that. His is just a pig...He is the piggishness of Aresenal all rolled up into one guy!! Laughing
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! The Capitals got a a "stay of execution" tonight with a 4-0 win over the NY Rangers! Probably because I stayed away from the arena and watched the game at home.... nyer

In a local radio interview this morning, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis was asked about Sean Avery. Several comments Leonsis made:

(1) "can't imagine how his teammates embrace him because he plays selfishly" (by drawing so many penalties);
(2)"anger management classes didn't take" (apparently Avery was ordered to take Anger Management! haha) and best of all...
(3) Avery "would run away like a little girl if (Capitals defensemen) John Erskine or Donald Brashear came after him." AMEN to that!!!

To sum it up: Wot SpursFan said Cool

Oh and one more thing:
@pirty: The Capitals v. Rangers is going to be broadcast nationally this Sunday, 26 April 09 on NBC - 2:00 pm EDT.

LET'S GO CAPS!!! agree wink
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the result to that game although I didn't get to see the game...French Final today, so I was studying. I think anyone with any sense would run from Donald Brashear! I would...

I think all the games have been televised nationally. I have been watching most of them on Versus...I just can't usually make it to the late West Coast game.

I am not going to lean either Caps or Rangers way...I think either one will have a hard time when they get to Boston!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, but unfortunately I'm up here in Georgia and I'll be driving home when it comes on. Perhaps I can find it on a radio station, but it's so rural most of the time, I could hardly find a good political AM station. Nothing was linking on. I had to listen to either country music, or bible thumping shit. No offense to people who like that kind of thing by the way, I just don't like it. Well.....all I can say is GO RANGERS!!! KICK SOME CAP ASS!!! LOL! ;-) :-D
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God, Kez, what did your Caps supporters do to Torts? I have never seen him mad enough to throw a water bottle much less threaten to go after a fan with a stick!! And I have seen him pretty mad...we were pretty crap when he got to Tampa and pretty crap when he left...only the bits in the middle were good!! They have suspended him. Coaches are so rarely suspended and to be suspended during the playoffs...well he must have really been pissed. They said someone threw a beer on him, but none of the vid caught that part. I guess it happened during a commercial break, so the tv cameras were not on. It's too bad becuase he will take the entire blame if NYR lose the series, no matter how badly the team plays. For your sake, I hope they don't use it as a rallying cry...that kind of anger could really pull a team together to do amazing things! We shall see, I guess...
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Rangers blew it, which is no surprise to me. They've done this throughout the many years of watching them. Bastards........Still, like my family members, ya still gotta love 'em....lol!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Pirty, I know how it feels. We used to lose to Philthydumpia in the playoffs alot. Yep, you have to love 'em like your own...In Tampa's case, who else would have them!! As for my Hawks, they ousted Calgary in 6 and are on to the second round. Chicago just has to get by Vancouver (I have no idea how they have been playing, we don't get to see many Western games during the season) and it could be Chicago vs Detoit for the Western Conference Championship. That would be awesome! Chicago and Detroit have hated each other forever and with Chicago being so bad the last several seasons (no playoffs for 13 years I think it is), Detroit has always gotten the better of them -- only to lose to the Sharks in the first round!! Laughing It is getting interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: