facebook - selling your info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: facebook - selling your info Reply with quote

link

It always struck me as suspicious that there seemed to be no obvious profit-angle and it's for that reason that I've never really put any info on it. I was particularly bothered by the 'let us search your address book' aspect. In effect, my information is being given out without my permission, which I'm sure must be a Data Protection issue.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a variety of reasons I don't use any social networking sites, but can anyone tell me what Facebook's actual Privacy Policy is?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not read it myself, but any site which wants to sniff your address book has to be trouble.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you both..... very suspect of putting a lot of information on these networking sites. You have to be very careful of any of the applications that you use as they want to draw all sorts of information, and I get very suspect about that. Maybe that's why I have so few friends on it LOL
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems that Facebook have changed their policy today (without informing any of their users directly) in order to remove their claim to own all the information and photos that were uploaded.

If they can chop and change like that at any point, then I think it's only fair to assume that they will do it again.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls trapped in storm drain use Facebook to call for help . . . instead of phoning emergency services
8th September 2009

Two girls aged ten and 12 who were trapped in a storm drain used Facebook to get help instead of calling the emergency services. The girls updated their status on their mobile phones to say they were trapped instead of dialing triple '0', the Australian emergency services number.

Firefighters eventually rescued the pair after being contacted by one of their male school friends. The friend had been online and saw they were trapped. The drama happened near Adelaide, Australia.

Firefighter Glenn Benham, who took part in the rescue, said: 'These girls were able to access Facebook on their mobile phones so they could have called the emergency services. It seems absolutely crazy but they updated their status rather than call us directly. We could have come to their rescue much faster than relying on someone else being online, then replying to them, then calling us.

----------------

What's that you're sayin Skippy? There's two kids stuck down a what?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are kids getting dumber and dumber or am I just getting older and older? lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That takes a special kind of stupid.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook postings trap fugitive
Facebook postings have landed a 26-year-old native of Cameroon in a Mexico City jail, where he is awaiting extradition to the United States on bank fraud charges.

While on the run, Maxi Sopo started posting Facebook updates about how much fun he was having - and added a former Justice Department official to his list of friends.

"He was making posts about how beautiful life is and how he was having a good time with his buddies," said Assistant US Attorney Michael Scoville, who helped find Sopo.

Investigators initially could find no trace of him on social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace, and they were unable to pin down his exact location in Mexico.

But several months later, Secret Service agent Seth Reeg checked Facebook again - and up popped Maxi Sopo.

Although Sopo's profile was set to private, his list of friends was not, and Scoville started combing through it.

He was surprised to see that one friend listed an affiliation with the Justice Department and sent him a message requesting a phone call.

The fugitive had been living at a nice apartment complex, working at a hotel and partying at Cancun's beaches, pools and nightclubs, Scoville said.

Prosecutors say he masterminded the bank fraud scheme with Edward Asatoorians, who was convicted by a federal jury in Seattle.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: