Boycotting Israel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Boycotting Israel Reply with quote

I'm sure you will all have the seen the 'boycott Israel' banner in the page header by now - I wondered whether I should make such a directly partisan graphic and display it, but it's too serious a situation to worry about whether it will upset some people. However, if the tables were turned and it was the Israeli people being forced to endure war-crimes then I would support them too.

For me, this isn't about being anti-Jewish or pro-Islamic - it's about being pro-humanity. simple as that.

Here's a short list of major companies which directly benefit Israel. The idea is that, where possible, you pick another producer for the item you need. It might only be a small difference, but this idea worked very well against South Africa - where, it should be noted, the Jewish population made up a significant amount of those fighting for equality at the ballot box.

AOL,
Coca-Cola,
Delta-Galilee,
Estee Lauder,
Johnson and Johnson,
Marks and Spencer,
Revlon,
Starbucks,
Jaffa,
McDonalds,
Danone,
Disney,
IBM,
Kimberly,
Nestle,
Nokia,
and Intel.

If you want to use the banner for other sites, please download it and place it on your own site, or use a site like imageshack.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been boycotting 'em since the 80's. Since I refused to go and work in a kibutz.

some are dead easy, I didn't know about nokia, I do have a nokia phone, and I'm using an intel cpu'd 'puter to post this message ..

but do check labels as well, bar codes do not always indicate country of origin.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like sauce i've been boycotting israeli products, but didn't know about nokia ( i think my phone might be a nokia ) and i think my cpu's an intel - and i've got a jar of nestle coffee in the cupboard, although its not mine and i don't drink it - but i won't be allowing anymore of it in!
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we boycott US and UK goods too?

It is a tough one... where in capitalism are ethical goods made?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much not had anything to do with any of the companies for years either - but for anti-globalisation reasons. There's always going to be times when it's not practical to avoid them, but those moments are few and far between these days.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've pretty much not had anything to do with any of the companies for years either - but for anti-globalisation reasons. There's always going to be times when it's not practical to avoid them, but those moments are few and far between these days.

Disney will be the hardest for me... but I will not give these people another £/$ whatever. I can do that.
tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US and Britain did far worse war crimes in their recent wars, so why don't you boycot their product as well?

you say you'd do the same with the tables were turned if Israeli people being forced to endure war-crimes. but that's exactly what they've been enduring for several years since they ended the occupation of gaza. unless you don't consider rockets fired on their cities a war crime? suicide bombers is not a war crime?

israel tried to force hamas to stop attacking them using sanctions on gaza the same way you now want to stop israel by sanctions. you called those sanctions a crime. but you now offer sanctions on israel.
the truth is people like you and galloway have been calling for sanctions on israel long before any operation against the palestinians, and even before 1967 war.
its all about whether israel has a right to exist at all.
i wonder why you never called for sanctions against arab countries who murdered far more people than israel.
why were you were opposed to sanctions against iraq under saddam hussein?
and why are you now supporting sanctions against israel?

and the main point is that the boycots you propose will not effect israel itself but only hurt jews. so you'll be punishing jews who don't even live in israel for something israel is doing.

boycotting jewish products and businesses simply for being jewish is what the nazis did.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
The US and Britain did far worse war crimes in their recent wars, so why don't you boycot their product as well?

This would be a clear case of punishing the people for something that their governments did without their consent.

Quote:
you say you'd do the same with the tables were turned if Israeli people being forced to endure war-crimes. but that's exactly what they've been enduring for several years since they ended the occupation of gaza. unless you don't consider rockets fired on their cities a war crime? suicide bombers is not a war crime?

When was the last suicide bomber? Since Hamas won the Palestinian election, they have been worse than boycotted -- as you well know, Gaza has remained under military blockade. Nobody is suggesting we set up warships to prevent any people or goods from entering or leaving Israel, even though that is precisely what they have been doing to Gaza for the past 18 months before this most recent atrocity.

Quote:
israel tried to force hamas to stop attacking them using sanctions on gaza the same way you now want to stop israel by sanctions. you called those sanctions a crime. but you now offer sanctions on israel.
the truth is people like you and galloway have been calling for sanctions on israel long before any operation against the palestinians, and even before 1967 war.
its all about whether israel has a right to exist at all.
i wonder why you never called for sanctions against arab countries who murdered far more people than israel.
why were you were opposed to sanctions against iraq under saddam hussein?
and why are you now supporting sanctions against israel?

It's not about whether Israel has a right to exist; it's about whether Palestinians have a right to exist. The other red herrings about Iraq, the 1967 war etc are not relevant to the shameful and criminal actions of the Israeli Occupying Forces and Israel's complete dismissal of International Law.

Quote:
and the main point is that the boycots you propose will not effect israel itself but only hurt jews. so you'll be punishing jews who don't even live in israel for something israel is doing.

boycotting jewish products and businesses simply for being jewish is what the nazis did.

The anti-semitism smear: the last refuge of the scoundrel. This doesn't even deserve a response.
tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason suicide bombings stopped is not because hamas abandoned this method, but because they can no longer get into israel as they could before, due to the same walls that you're protesting against which israel built to defend itself against suicide bombers. that's why they shifted all their efforts into the rocket business.

are israel's actions worse than those of saddam hussein who gassed thousands of people with chemical weapons?
why were you against the sanctions on iraq but are for the sanctions against israel?

the USA and Britain also did far worse than israel when faced with far less dangerous threats to their security. no one was shooting rockets at american or british cities yet they still traveled halfway around the world and attacked entire countries. their governments were elected (not once but twice in case of Bush) so why were you not callng for boycotting the united states?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a debate. It's about telling the murdering Israelis to fuck off.

Your account is now closed - I'm not dealing with anyone or anything which supports Israel.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
since they ended the occupation of gaza

thats misleading. i'll quote the un who say 'Although Israel has contended that it is no longer an occupying power, due to its withdrawal of its forces from within Gaza, it is widely agreed by international law experts that the continued Israeli control of borders, air space, and territorial waters is of a character as to retain Israel status legally as occupying power.'
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of online petitions regarding the matter.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/israel-sanctions/

http://www.petitiononline.com/eusanc/petition.html
mickyv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
This isn't a debate. It's about telling the murdering Israelis to fuck off.

Your account is now closed - I'm not dealing with anyone or anything which supports Israel.

Nice one Faceless thumbs

We can confront these monster elsewhere, we don't want their slime all over this Site.
johrae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gone yourself faceless thumbs Keep up the good fight
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a good link ..

http://www.mylinkspage.com/israel.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: