Jewish Celtic Supporter Speaks Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of bigotry against other faiths by Protestants and the problem would be solved too. Notre Dame is a Catholic girls' school as I'm sure you know, but it's also the main choice for parents of Moslem girls in the west end.

It's not faith that's the problem it's ignorance.
seshme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing in my book. Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of grey areas between the two
cobweb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Glasgow and having lived in Northern Ireland for a few years any hope of being able to view this with an impartial, outside looking in way has long since gone. I would love to know what anyone outwith Scotland reading this has to think about the whole issue.

The Famine song is sung by a LARGE chunk of the Rangers support usually just before they launch into thir equally inoffensive & witty "Nakamura ate my dog". Noel Coward and Ivor Novello would be shitting themselves to come up against the repartee of the bard that penned these anthems.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact they got off with the religious aspect to the charges is nonsense - why else would they have attacked him?
cobweb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hilarious bit of this is that the only witness for the defence was the manager of the Chip who said that Lennon struck out first totally contradicting every other witness to the events before and after. Two students who talked to the guys in "Nude" (the name of a nightclub - not meaning they all had nothing on) said that they refused to even talk about rangers winning, which you would have thought they would have been happy to crow about. Apparently they had tried to wind up N. L. in that club and he decided to leave they then chased him and they ran up behind him and just before one of them struck him they screamed "fenian bastard".

If that isn't religious hatred them I'm buggered if I know what is.

I suppose I should add that I live two minutes away from all this and have had the pleasure of drinking with Neil a few times and found him to be a real gent (and his missus is a lovely lady also) and never once has he started any hassle or been mouthy in the pub. I'm a Thistle supporter BTW before anyone thinks I have allegiance to one side or the other here.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers dusty, I'd not heard those other details before - but where's this 'Nude' club? I've not heard of that.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobweb wrote:
Being from Glasgow and having lived in Northern Ireland for a few years any hope of being able to view this with an impartial, outside looking in way has long since gone. I would love to know what anyone outwith Scotland reading this has to think about the whole issue.

My feeling is that if Rangers and Celtic didn't have sectarianism to differentiate themselves they would find something else. Being a Spurs fan and indirectly caught up in the Sol Campbell nonsense I wonder how far government want to reach into people's lives... this kind of inter team banter has been a fixture of football grounds for at least the thirty four years I have been going and long before that...

When it takes itself outside the ground and turns into violence then it is a Police matter of course but otherwise 'sticks and stones'...

One of my favourite memories of this kind of thing at football was sitting next to an elderly woman at Spurs in the Park Lane next to the Bolton away fans in the corner... she kept standing up and turning to the Bolton fans screaming and shouting using inventive invective... after about thirty minutes the guy sat next to her on the other side leaned over and said... "please forgive my mum... she gets overexcited..."
cobweb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI face the Nude nightclub is the last place on ashton lane on the right as you walk towards the Uni. I think it's above Radio but it's hard to tell as Stefan King changes the names of his clubs so often.

I think the order of the drinking dens is as follows...left hand side Jinty's, Vodka Wodka, Brels.

Right hand side. The chip, Loft, then I'm not sure.

Hope that helps
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobweb wrote:

The Famine song is sung by a LARGE chunk of the Rangers support usually just before they launch into thir equally inoffensive & witty "Nakamura ate my dog". Noel Coward and Ivor Novello would be shitting themselves to come up against the repartee of the bard that penned these anthems.

Speaking as a Canadian who is largely ignorant to the tensions, I think the message "why don't you go home?" is simpe: "You don't belong here; I do." It smacks to me of racial superiority and entitlement. Without going into hyperbole, it's the sort of message that white supremacists use to abuse immigrants.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I wouldn't call "Nakamura ate my dog" inoffensive. Isn't it just a (false) racial stereotype about Japanese eating dogs? If Nakamura has a reputation as a mean guy, this might make it satirical. But based solely on the lyric, I wouldn't sing it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all about feelings of superiority - but I've yet to meet a Rangers thug who was much of a threat without the backing of his mates, as can be seen by these two battering Lennon.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
it's all about feelings of superiority - but I've yet to meet a Rangers thug who was much of a threat without the backing of his mates, as can be seen by these two battering Lennon.

I do think it is about feeling better than... an almost typical example of the kind of ingroup-outgroup tension that Tajfel and Turner theorised about in Social Identity Theory where self-esteem of individual group members is enhanced by identifying with an ingroup (for me Spurs) and comparing them with an outgroup (again for me Arsenal) and using that comparison to feel better than. As Arsenal have outperformed Spurs for years we have had to use extracurricular activities (the regular criminal activities of their players) and history (their bribing their way into the top league in England - never having qualified on merit) to get that sense of superiority... Laughing

It seems that it doesn't take much of a group feeling to constitute a group... for instance the current problems in Gaza provide another example where people can choose a side and make claims to themselves and to others about the relative superiority of their positions and thereby their side in the conflict (group) and through this process individual self-esteem is enhanced. Theoretically.... what do people think?
cobweb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times article is an interesting read but I think somewhat misses the point (and is factually incorrect in part - it states that policing of games is taxpayers money - not true, clubs have to pay the police for this service).

It's up to the person or persons being sung about to decide what's offensive. Of course, Rangers fans don't think that the song that started the thread is offensive (I'd be entirely suprised if the bulk of their knuckle dragging supporters can think at all but that's another matter) because they sing it. The point is do Celtic fans find it offensive and the answer is yes, the bulk of them do. And it is based on sectarianism.

So the main jist of this is where do we draw the line on abusive chants. I remember years ago being at a Thistle V Hearts game and giving Nicky Walker (Hearts goalie) a power of abuse. You know the sort that only the certainty of youth and knowing everything about the world can let you dish out. Within 6 months Nicky had signed for the Jags and while he only stayed for a couple of years in that time he played really well, moving on to Aberdeen (that might be wrong but what the heck) when they were playing well and when we got relegated.

My point being from the above - was I right to dish the abuse out? I don't know but all I can say in my defence is that I never once have shouted racist or homophobic abuse at a player. I've told quite a few that they are shit, can't head/kick/tackle and not worth the money, which given that the supporter on the terrace is paying the wages I think you're entitled to.

Celtic and Rangers and all the others in the article should stick to singing about past glories and records and wind each other up with those type of songs. I think the fact that the Rangers support have stooped to these levels shows how much more successful Celtic have been in the last 4 or 5 years. The fact that others replying to that piece have used the old chestnuts "it's man's game and we should remember it" or "let's not sanitise the game too much" are talking crap. If you really believe that the go up to the next 6'4" black guy you see and call him "Boy" or "Nigger" in a southern american accent then because that sort of thing used to be ok too.

PS Colston it's gonig to take some really, really good songs to get Spurs feeling superior against anyone right now...you have my sympathy.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what some Rangers fan do when they win the league. Getting a gang of 30-40 thugs to drive into a specific area just to attack anyone they find.

Here in Glasgow there were 3 separate murders.
seshme

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: